• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch HG (1 Viewer)

Jeez, looks like the Zeiss SF just got walloped ! :gn:

In a play straight out of the Zeiss marketing manual of redundant and extraneous fluff & bunkum, these new 'HG's' will have "a bright view of up to 92% or higher light transmittance" .......... hahahaha !!! 8-P

Zeiss SF trumping wide Fov's .... AND ..... ~100grams+ (4 0z+) lighter! ..... AND ! ....... ~1/3RD of the price ! :eek!: |:d| :t:

Bring that on !! :t: :t:

POW !!!! GoodNight Zeiss SF ....... :-C :gn:

Chosun :gh:

I have the SF and indeed, if these had come out last year (along with the scopes) it might have been a different story. Purely based on the specs of course, but I like the aesthetics as well.

on this dutch site they mention availability in august:
http://nikon.grayling.nl/132205-de-...in-de-geschiedenis-van-de-monarch-verrekijker

Did I misunderstand, or is the MHG a mid tier binocular and not a replacement for the EDG ?

They seem to be a replacement for the HGL:s.

Back in the days, before the EDG:s came out, the HG:s where the nikon top alpha bins I recall.
And the HG:s are highly ranked at allbinos (5th place),
HGL are the same, just being lighter:

http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

I think the optical level of the MHG:s finally will depend on the manufacturing and level of quality control. If Nikon can accomplish that for the price we will see.

Last edited:
Price wise, the MHG is mid tier, but if the optics are HGL / LXL level with improved control of CA they would be nearly alpha level with a lighter, smaller build than any of the alpha 8x42.

Price wise, the MHG is mid tier, but if the optics are HGL / LXL level with improved control of CA they would be nearly alpha level with a lighter, smaller build than any of the alpha 8x42.
It sounds like they would be brighter than the dark EDG's with 92% transmission and that would be a big improvement. These babies are going to sparkle like an HT on the Fourth of July.

It sounds like they would be brighter than the dark EDG's with 92% transmission and that would be a big improvement. These babies are going to sparkle like an HT on the Fourth of July.

Dark talk about the EDGs light transmission is Snark talk.

Allbinos transmission graphs at the bottom of the pages in their reviews ratings shows that both the 8x42 EDG and 10x42 EDG have higher than 92% Transmission.

http://www.allbinos.com/215-binoculars_review-Nikon_10x42_EDG.html

http://www.allbinos.com/224-binoculars_review-Nikon_8x42_EDG.html

Last edited:
Dark talk about the EDGs light transmission is Snark talk.

Allbinos transmission graphs at the bottom of the pages in their reviews ratings shows that both the 8x42 EDG and 10x42 EDG have higher than 92% Transmission.

http://www.allbinos.com/224-binoculars_review-Nikon_8x42_EDG.html

How dare you bring measured, quantifiable data into this. This is a forum for discussion about sparkle and clarity...

The 10x42 EDG:s already have more than up to 92% transmission at 700 nm @ Allbinos.

The 8x32 EDG seem to struggle a bit more in blue though.

But still at the top!

EDIT: Ceasar, same thought..
The average transmission of the 10x42 EDG's is only 88% though. For these new Nikons to have an average of 92% that would mean they would peak at over 95% at 700 nm. Nikon is no doubt going after SF's for 1/2 the price. Nikon can do it if they set their mind to it. Look at how thin the magnesium body is. That is where the weight savings is. That is a very compact and light body.

Attachments

• 217754-A1510_Material-f96943-original-1468480899.jpg
    217754-A1510_Material-f96943-original-1468480899.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Jeez, looks like the Zeiss SF just got walloped ! *goodnight*

In a play straight out of the Zeiss marketing manual of redundant and extraneous fluff & bunkum, these new 'HG's' will have "a bright view of up to 92% or higher light transmittance" .......... hahahaha !!! *so nerr*

Zeiss SF trumping wide Fov's .... AND ..... ~100grams+ (4 0z+) lighter! ..... AND ! ....... ~1/3RD of the price ! *holy mackerel!* *cheeky* *thumbs up*

Bring that on !! *double thumbs up*

POW !!!! GoodNight Zeiss SF ....... *sad* *goodnight*

Chosun

I have the SF and indeed, if these had come out last year (along with the scopes) it might have been a different story. Purely based on the specs of course, but I like the aesthetics as well.

on this dutch site they mention availability in august:
http://nikon.grayling.nl/132205-de-...in-de-geschiedenis-van-de-monarch-verrekijker

I wouldn't worry too much, I'm pretty sure these new HG's will be firmly 2nd tier ......... (o)<

They are smaller and lighter than the Vortex Razor HD, ie. Leica UVHD+ sized shorties, and with such wide fields and no mention of any 'FL' glass - only 'ED' glass, I would expect their handling of CA would be less than the best of the best alphas.

It will be interesting to see if these specs are indeed correct, and exactly 'how' Nikon has done it ..... :cat:

In comparison to even the Leicas they have much wider (SF-wide) fields, use a field flattener, are the same physical size, and yet weigh 100grams (4 0z) less ---- while using a magnesium chassis ???? We could hope that the chassis turns out to be FRP --- I wonder how far away they are from the Honda factory? maybe they've got their hands on some CFRP ! |:p|

If these specs are correct, then Nikon seems to have done something that no other manufacturer has managed to do ...... I hope they actually have ! and have moved the game on in the process :king:

As far as the light transmission goes, I hope the 92% is the daylight figure, but have my doubts (there's no way they'll be up near 95% dennis! :)...... manufacturers should be forced to specify that 550nm daylight figure via a compulsory standard - think of all the money that would be saved on all the marketing cr*p ! :eek!: :t: By all means, wax lyrical about the ultimate peak, but give us the wavelength too ....... When I suggested (tongue in cheek :) that Nikon had followed Zeiss's lead ---- It was by no means a good thing ! :scribe:

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Chosun.:gh:If the older dark EDG II had an average transmission of 88% and a peak of 92% and these new HG's have an average transmission of 92% why wouldn't they have a peak of 95%? It seems reasonable to me.:t:

Dennis:

Please don't get this new Nikon model. The reason is I know the short review will be
something like this.

"These are not quite as good and are not as bright as the Swarovision."

It seems Nikon is going for the midrange with this model. They look like they are priced
there also, at less than half of the top ones.

Jerry

Dennis:

Please don't get this new Nikon model. The reason is I know the short review will be
something like this.

"These are not quite as good and are not as bright as the Swarovision."

It seems Nikon is going for the midrange with this model. They look like they are priced
there also, at less than half of the top ones.

Jerry

I'm with you Jerry. It will turn into a polluted thread like all the other's he posts in. He can't help himself......he revels in it.

The average transmission of the 10x42 EDG's is only 88% though. For these new Nikons to have an average of 92% that would mean they would peak at over 95% at 700 nm. Nikon is no doubt going after SF's for 1/2 the price. Nikon can do it if they set their mind to it. Look at how thin the magnesium body is. That is where the weight savings is. That is a very compact and light body.

If you had read Nikon's introduction to the Monarch HG with average care you would know that Nikon was not talking about the binocular having an average transmission of 92%.

What Nikon wrote was "All this combines to achieve a bright view with light transmission of up to 92% or higher, plus natural color fidelity."

http://www.nikon.com/news/2016/0714_monarch_hg_01.htm

Nikon can say the same thing about the light transmission of the EDGs. Look at the Allbinos graphs again.

A binocular that Nikon themselves show as second to the EDG in their catalog is going to be the new SF killer, that's what I call wishful thinking and wild speculation.:-O I guess stranger things have happened, :smoke:

Hmmm... From the link in post #1 I figured that...:

1. These are Premier replacements, not EDG replacements.
  2. They look like highly capable binoculars (as if.. Nikon has never done that before... Really?)
  3. They will be priced to compete at the 95%-function-@-50%-of-alpha price-point where there's a lot of competition right now.
  4. They look like they're great in every way except (for me) those field-flattening eyepieces. While they're probably wonderful for lots of people, they don't seem so for me. Field flatteners make my head hurt. (My limitation, not the binoculars. And that won't stop me from trying 'em, just in case..)
  5. Some people will say bad things about them (without necessarily knowing anything about them).

From the subsequent posts I can only guess I was wrong...

...Mike

Last edited:

Nice photo of the magnesium chassi! Where did you find it?

More important is if the transmission curve is flat since Nikon promises "natural colour fidelity", whatever that is... simply "colour fidelity" would be sufficient for me...;).

A peak above 95% is not possible with schmidt-pechan prisms I guess.
The good old EDG bins seem to have 7 elements. If the MHG will have the same number of elements + the latest generation of AR-coatings (0.2% loss) the transmission will be in the ball park of:

SP prism loss: 5*1 + 2*0.2 = 5.4 %
Lens elements loss: 7*2*0.2 = 2.8
Total transm.: 100-(5.4+2.8) = 91.8%

Optics gurus, feel free to correct my calc if I'm wrong...o:)

So Nikon might have refined DE-prism coatings or AR-coatings even further in this bin.

Last edited:
Mike (post 58)
I agree with most of your comments, so your guess was wrong.....
Regarding the flat field, Nikon had to come up with something that none of the competitors at the price level of MHG has and that will appeal to many people. Nikon SE and EDG have flat fileds with no RB artifact, and IMO their optics are excellent and leave very little to be desired. The flat-field optics of the MHG may be expected to be similar.

Regarding the MHG and EDG, the EDG line has not been a great success for Nikon. As some have suggested it seems that Nikon has given up competing in the high-end binos market. My hope (and speculation) is that the MHG will be an alpha level binos line that's offered at a much more reasonable price. If Nikon will sell many more MHGs than EDGs, the MHG line will be more profitable.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back