• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focusing IF binoculars, diiference between both eyes? (1 Viewer)

Eric.TB

Focusing IF binoculars, difference between both eyes?

I have no vision problems as far as needing glasses or anything, at least I've never been diagonosed. My vision is pretty good. However, I did notice when using IF binoculars that after focusing each eye individually, when I open both eyes, the stars will be slightly blurry, and I will have readjust, usually by keeping both eyes open, and tweaking the focusing by concentrating on each eye one at a time, until stars in both barrels are pinpoint.

Is this normal? I do feel as though my right eye is slightly stronger than my left, but as I said, I have no vision issues in either.

Last edited:
Maybe you are accommodating instead of doing your focusing with the glasses, so you have to go back and readjust after your eyes relax.

Just guessing.

Last edited:
Maybe you are accommodating instead of doing your focusing with the glasses, so you have to go back and readjust after your eyes relax.

Just guessing.

Hey, Rich, stop guessing and put a number on it and make it more ... scientific! There's a 99.3762582% chance that the problem is in ACCOMMODATION. :cat:

Bill

Hey, Rich, stop guessing and put a number on it and make it more ... scientific! There's a 99.3762582% chance that the problem is in ACCOMMODATION. :cat:

Bill

Hello Bill. Could you please provide some tips on what method is best for focusing IF binos?

Hello Bill. Could you please provide some tips on what method is best for focusing IF binos?

Gladly! However, right now I'm strapped to the kitchen. I will do so as soon as possible by giving a quote from Der Buk. :cat:

Bill

Learn to STARE so your eyes are at rest while focusing; it’s very important—at least if you want the best possible image.

Bill

PS Welcome to our little band of misfits!

From Vignette 10, page 23

... Frequently, those new to binocular observing will focus on a target quickly and expect the instrument to remain focused—at least at the given distance. However, let’s say you have an accommodation range of 4 diopters and stop focusing the instant you have an adequate image. As time goes on, observing may become problematic because your natural (relaxed at that distance) focus setting should be (for example) -1.5 diopters. That means being in a hurry has placed your focus at an accommodatable, but strained, setting. Then, as fatigue sets in, you may fiddle unnecessarily with the focus or suppose there’s something wrong with your eyes or the binocular when neither is true. In addition, as this “fiddling” takes place the observer will more than likely repeat the hurried technique that got him into trouble in the first place, leaving him once again with an imprecise focus. Perhaps your mother taught you never to stare. Nevertheless, if you want a crisp image, you had better forget that advice.

Vignette 10, page 25

A Digression on Focusing

... Some observers have been led to believe they have to focus their binocular by placing a hand over one objective, then the other. For others, even that isn’t good enough. They think they must place the lens cap over one objective, then do the same with the other side.

I have never understood why one technique is more desirable than the other, especially since the person who has learned to stare—a task that should be learned anyway—never has to worry about the problem. Likewise, they never have to worry about the subject that drove, pedaled, ran, flew, or swam away while they were seeking the ever-elusive perfect focus. Do you derive pleasure from observing or focusing?

[Anyway, precise focus changes with each change in distance. Some of those teaching newbies how to focus leave that valuable piece of information ... out.]

Last edited:
Learn to STARE so your eyes are at rest while focusing; it’s very important—at least if you want the best possible image.

Bill

PS Welcome to our little band of misfits!

From Vignette 10, page 23

... Frequently, those new to binocular observing will focus on a target quickly and expect the instrument to remain focused—at least at the given distance. However, let’s say you have an accommodation range of 4 diopters and stop focusing the instant you have an adequate image. As time goes on, observing may become problematic because your natural (relaxed at that distance) focus setting should be (for example) -1.5 diopters. That means being in a hurry has placed your focus at an accommodatable, but strained, setting. Then, as fatigue sets in, you may fiddle unnecessarily with the focus or suppose there’s something wrong with your eyes or the binocular when neither is true. In addition, as this “fiddling” takes place the observer will more than likely repeat the hurried technique that got him into trouble in the first place, leaving him once again with an imprecise focus. Perhaps your mother taught you never to stare. Nevertheless, if you want a crisp image, you had better forget that advice.

Vignette 10, page 25

A Digression on Focusing

... Some observers have been led to believe they have to focus their binocular by placing a hand over one objective, then the other. For others, even that isn’t good enough. They think they must place the lens cap over one objective, then do the same with the other side.

I have never understood why one technique is more desirable than the other, especially since the person who has learned to stare—a task that should be learned anyway—never has to worry about the problem. Likewise, they never have to worry about the subject that drove, pedaled, ran, flew, or swam away while they were seeking the ever-elusive perfect focus. Do you derive pleasure from observing or focusing?

[Anyway, precise focus changes with each change in distance. Some of those teaching newbies how to focus leave that valuable piece of information ... out.]

Great, thanks for the information.

What is your take on leaving both eyes open, and concentrating only on one eye and focusing, then doing the same with the other? Is this not a good practice?

Great, thanks for the information.

What is your take on leaving both eyes open, and concentrating only on one eye and focusing, then doing the same with the other? Is this not a good practice?

Over time, you may develop that ability. Right now, GENTLY closing one eye at a time may be your best answer. Your brain wants to out-think you (involuntary accommodation); Don’t let it.

There are two more things to consider:

1) The IPD needs to be accurate.

2) Collimation needs to be good. I’ve had any number of people tell me their binocular was “perfectly collimated” when the collimator told a very different story. Again, accommodation (spatial) was at work. But accommodation cannot be sustained without some degree of eyestrain. As in removing the bino from your eyes and looking at the stars directly. :cat:

Bill

Over time, you may develop that ability. Right now, GENTLY closing one eye at a time may be your best answer. Your brain wants to out-think you (involuntary accommodation); Don’t let it.

There are two more things to consider:

1) The IPD needs to be accurate.

2) Collimation needs to be good. I’ve had any number of people tell me their binocular was “perfectly collimated” when the collimator told a very different story. Again, accommodation (spatial) was at work. But accommodation cannot be sustained without some degree of eyestrain. As in removing the bino from your eyes and looking at the stars directly. :cat:

Bill

I've done the defocused star test several times, the star from the left barrel is dead center, as well as using telephone wires at a distance, and backing my eyes away from the eyepieces and looking at the level of the wires. I'm certain the collimation is good. Plus it's a Celestron Echelon, a halfway decent instrument.

Thank you for your advice. I will certainly use it.

I've done the defocused star test several times, the star from the left barrel is dead center, as well as using telephone wires at a distance, and backing my eyes away from the eyepieces and looking at the level of the wires. I'm certain the collimation is good. Plus it's a Celestron Echelon, a halfway decent instrument.

Thank you for your advice. I will certainly use it.

Good luck. :cat:

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back