• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A very cold bird (1 Viewer)

Ruff

Two birds in one.
We have of course had what most countries would call extreme cold here in Central Canada for millennia, and certainly this year, but today I observed something new to me. A purple finch appeared at one of my feeders with an extraordinary white patch on its back and I looked at it for some minutes from inside and about 10 feet (2.5 metres) away but just couldn't decide what was causing it. At first it looked like the bird might have a tumour and then as if it might be starting to moult (not a survivable process in the present -25 C weather), but finally bringing out the binocular showed that the bird had a patch of ice crystals, rather separate and cubic like spilled iodized salt only larger, on its back. As I said, I'd never seen anything like this before, wondering if anyone else has.

The bird itself doesn't appear to be doing well, it's isolated and remaining at the feeder far more than is usual for the species. There's a thaw coming in the next few days, which hopefully will remove the ice and solve its major problem but I'd love to know how that can happen in the first place.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back