• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which entry-level 8x42s? (1 Viewer)

I'm looking for my first pair of decent binoculars. I need them for an ornithology class I just started at school, plus I should probably have some binos anyway as a biology student.

So I'm looking for some advice on which pair of entry-level binos I should choose? I'm pretty much set on 8x42s as the best all around size for daytime and late/early viewing and ability to hold the image steady for long periods. I'm also looking for long eye relief, as I wear glasses. Now I'm down to looking for the right pair. I am on a budget, looking to spend under $200 unless I can get a much, much better value by spending a little bit more.

So after searching through all the different binoculars I could find online, I believe I have it narrowed down to just a couple different pairs:

Vortex Diamondback:
Available on eBay for $149 (I'm not sure if they're the "old" model or the new 2016 version, the picture is of the old one)
Old model has 420 ft fov and 18 mm eye relief, 4.5 ft close focus
New model has 393 ft fov and 17 mm eye relief, 5 ft close focus
Whether its the new or old model, the $149 seems like a pretty good deal for these binos.

Wingspan Optics 8x42 ED Glass "SkyView":
$159 on Amazon
393 ft fov, 17 mm eye relief,
2 m close focus
ED glass

Wingspan Optics 8x42 ED Glass "CrystalView":
$196 on Amazon
425 ft fov 17 mm eye relief
2 m close focus
ED glass

So, I'm wondering if its worth it to get the ED glass from Wingspan, or should I stick with a name brand like Vortex, where the price of ED glass is out of reach? Also, is the difference between 393 ft and 420/425 ft field of view a great asset when birding? Is it worthwhile to search for the older Diamondbacks with a wider fov? As for close focus, the Diamondbacks are better by about 1.5 feet, not too big a deal, right?

Which of these binos would you buy? Or would you have another suggestion? Thanks for any advice!

I'm afraid I don't know the binos you mention, but I recently got a Bushnell Legend M Series 10x42, and I'm very impressed. There is an 8x42 version, and I think it is heavily discounted by lots of suppliers in the U.S.

I was looking at the Bushnell Legend M series...I think I may have discounted it because of the shorter 15 mm eye relief on the 10x42s, but just noticed the 8x42s eye relief is 18 mm. These are very appealing at $153 on ebay.

I was also looking at the Cabela's Intensity HD 8x42 which is $189 with ED glass

Last edited:
Hi,

without knowing them myself the Legend M look like a great deal for an 8x42. Smaller options would be the Cabela Guide 8x32 or the Sightron Blue Sky ii 8x32.

These give a few minutes less light at dusk or dawn but are easier to carry and better for traveling...

Joachim

All of these are probably better than the Wingspan Optics. While they are likely a contracted and spec'd line and may be from a decent manufacturer, you run more risk with lesser known and smaller brands. Sure-there are the occasional "sleeper" (Sightron Blue Sky, et al) that surprises everyone, but I let someone else take the risk and do the leg work in finding those. The Diamondbacks are a good starting point and Vortex is known for exceptional customer care if you have problems. I also support an 8x42 as a good "only" or primary bin.

I should have mentioned...the TA for my class has a pair of wingspan binos with ed glass, says he likes them but has only had them for a year. I haven't been able to look at them myself, will do that next week.

However, the I've heard good things about the Vortex brand, especially their customer service. The Bushnell warranty seems not quite as all encompassing, but they have ED glass available at the same price point as the Diamondback...how to choose?

Edit: I just found that WingSpan Optics are formerly/also marketed as Polaris binos. Does that change anyone's feelings on these optics?

Last edited:
Of those three, I would go w/the Vortex. Not because it is optically better (it probably is), but because they are known for very good customer service.

However — I do think the Legend M provides a better view than the Vortex DB, and for around $155 is the way I would go. Just be aware that I have seen examples that had a lot of backlash/play in the focus wheel. If you do go this route, buy from a place that will allow you to return it if it happens to have a less than desireable focus wheel.

Hi....

I looked at the choices you listed and the ones mentioned...

Phil kinda summed up my thoughts on the Bushnell Legend vs. the Diamondback...the Legend has really nice optics for the money with mechanics not quite up to par...the Diamondback is nice mechanically but not quite as good optics but I had sure rather have the Diamondback...

I hate to do this but I'm gonna have to add MY choice....currently....and that's the Zeiss Terra ED 8X42. I'm pretty sure you'd be happy with it. I have a pair and have given a couple away....everyone that has gotten them has been elated. Currently I can't find them for less than $269.99 shipped on eBay. Occasionally you can find them for less. I'd rather recommend a binocular I'm pretty sure about vs. one you might not be happy with which is a headache even though it's a little more expensive.

The Vanguard Endeavor ED.....I have the ED II which is a really nice binocular but can't comment strictly on the ED....but I'd guess you'd fine with that...

I'm looking for my first pair of decent binoculars ..... I'm pretty much set on 8x42s ...... I am on a budget, looking to spend under $200 unless I can get a much, much better value by spending a little bit more....
Luckily the answer to your question is super, super easy.
8x42 is the right format that you want.
I'm sorry Chuck but the Terra is terrible.
The Bushnell Legend M is the binocular that you want.
It handles CA better than most.
Currently at about $153, it is about half to one third normal price, and you won't find better until you hit ~$900 for the Nikon Monarch HG.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3666208#post3666208
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=342002

Any slight play in the Bushnell's focus mechanism is a non issue, that won't even be perceived in no time at all, and far outweighed by its many superior features. Don't muck around wondering about this bin or that, just jump immediately on the Bushnell's while you can and be done with it.

Chosun :gh:

Chosen,

Both you and Chuck have good choices, I am in agreement on the Legend M, I use it out in the field while at work and for the $$ it is a great deal, aside from its short comings. How are you liking the Nikon Mhg, for the price, size, and view no better glass for the price imho.

A.W.

Last edited:
Are you averse to buying used?

You might be able to find a better glass for what you have to spend.

Members here, or a reputable dealer would be a good source. Although the better glasses do hold their value, deals can be found.

"(The Bushnell Legend M) currently at about $153, is about half to one third normal price, and you won't find better until you hit ~$900 for the Nikon Monarch HG."

I don't know I can think of quite a few better under $900.00. Let's see Nikon 8x30 EII, Zeiss Conquest HD, Tract Toric HD, Nikon 8x32 SE, Vanguard Endeavor EDII, and the Vortex Viper. One thing I don't like about the Bushnell Legend M 8x42 is it so BIG and LONG! I guess if your father is a Zen Ray your bound to be big.:-O
Dennis, I didn't mention the Nikon 8x30 EII, or the 8x32 SE (both very fine glass) because the OP had settled on 8x42 - which I agree with.

I don't find the Zen-Ray ED3/Bushnell Legend M clone to be THAT big ..... in fact I think the Zen has THE best ergonomics of any bin I've ever held! For ergonomics, some are close, though still behind - Swarovski 10x50 SV, Nikon Monarch 8x42 HG (that one surprisingly so since it is nice and small, and light, as your photo shows - hence it is my pick as next stop up the ranks). All that length of the Zen/Bushie gives it superb CA handling ability - Alpha level on axis.

Optically the Zen/Bushnell is superb for the money, and excellent at any price. For ~$150 it is an absolute bargain. For twice that it is still a great bargain. For 3x that it is still a bargain. That's why I said hop on it - how long can it last? The essentially the same Zens go for over ~$400 .....

I don't think the Vanguard Endeavour II, or Tract Toric are enough (if any - due to their narrower fields) better to warrant the extra multiple cost.

As for the Zeiss Conquest HD, the only thing I would use that for is throwing at a cranky big buck kangaroo ..... but at ~$900 it's an expensive brick! :eek!:

The Nikon 8x42 MHG is a worthwhile step up, and excellent for its small light size ..... but it's a 6 times greater cost equation .....

Chosun :gh:

Thanks for all the input, esp Chosun...very definitive response. I ended up going with the Bushnell Legend M. At $153, they seem to be the best value name brand ED glass binoculars with a decent warranty currently available. Bushnell has a "lifetime" warranty, with a "defined lifetime for each product of 1 to 30 years." The Legend series binos are covered for 20 years, which I'd say will suit me fine. I expect I'll need something else by then.

The slightly larger size of the Bushnell M is really of no consequence to me: I'm not a smaller person and its 0.8 inches longer than a $900 Monarch - literally of no concern at all. Also, I'm not comparing these to anything else at all. Like I said, these are my first and only pair of binoculars, so I will not be thinking "Oh, these are nice, but just not as good as those Leica's or Swarovski's." I only want a decent pair of binoculars...I'm sure I would be impressed by the view on something for $50 on amazon, I just know that's not the best available. I only want to get the best quality optics I can for the money I have to spend on it, and the Legend M seems like it fits the bill.

And Denco, what's all this nonsense about $500 8x30 Nikons and $1000 dollar Swarovski's with 30 mm lenses? We're talking about 8x42s for UNDER $200. No need to compensate by bringing up all your expensive equipment just because you can't handle a pair of six and a half inch bins... ;)

Thanks again for the help, folks! I'll give my impression when I receive the bins

All I can say is that I actually own AND use several of the binoculars discussed here.....some of them for over a year.....

The Zeiss Terra ED 8X42 is a nice binocular for the money. Lightweight, compact, decent optics, and a very nice focus adjustment. I actually USE it a good bit! I woundn't pay $400 for it but when it can be found for something less than $300 I feel like it's a good buy! And I have some to compare it to TOO.

Not trying to discredit those of you that like the Bushnell Legend. If if suits your fancy more power to you. To those considering purchase...it IS a rather large binocular as the picture below shows....one of the largest 8X42s. Optics ARE very nice for the money. It seems to be well made for the money as well(<$180). As with any sub $200 binocular there are usually tradeoffs. Here it is SIZE and focus adjustment....which for the Legend M is the 3rd worst focus adjustment of any binocular I have(you don't want to know how many!)....the pictured Athlon Ares 2nd worse, and the infamous Zen-Ray ED2 as the worst. It's no wonder as they all seem to have come from the same factory.

I'd rather have the Terra ED 8X42 every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Attachments

• DSC_0083.jpg
    DSC_0083.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 68B83340-BEC2-4ADF-95C2-E440D61D5AA1.jpeg
    68B83340-BEC2-4ADF-95C2-E440D61D5AA1.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 101
To the OP, it may seem like we're nitpicking with the focuser and ergonomics, but they really are important. I have looked through a zen-ray binocular of the same design as the bushnell legend m and it was indeed optically very good for the price range. The focuser was a disaster though--very hard to turn and almost no grip so your finger slips over the wheel instead of turning it. I did not tell the owner this, but it would make birding a frustrating experience if I had to use it all the time.

These are personal decisions though. Chosun really likes her zen-ray so it may be worth it to try the bushnell yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back