• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go in UK for March 3rd weekend? (1 Viewer)

flippsy

"She's got it bad"
It's my daughter's 21st and people on this site will not find it strange that she prefers a weekend trip to see birds rather than a party. (No doubt there'll be a bit of a party too B :) - in the hours of darkness) Any suggestions ? - we are all in our first year of birding, live in West Yorkshire but want to travel a bit further than we might normally do in a day - up to say 150 miles away. We've done a lot of inland reservoirs recently and seen a lot of ducks - could do with some sea birds and waders in stunning locations, with some nice less common woodland species too - so should it be Norfolk or South West Scotland? ( Devon or Cornwall are a bit far for a weekend) or are we being too greedy?

Head down to Norfolk. No ifs no buts.

At that time, there may be some early migrants as well as a few late winter birds.

And Norfolk has so much to offer in terms of sites, habitats and species - both common and rare.

Base yourselves on the North Nrofolk coast and enjoy sites like Snettisham, Titchwell, Holkham, Cley etc etc.

Make sure you talk to other birders if you don't have access to bird information services whilst down there.

The vast majority of birders will happily tell you what is about and what sites to try.

And there is a big Norfolk birding thread on the forum (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=791912#post791912) that will tell you even more!

Hope your daughter has a wonderful birthday!

Matthew

mcapper said:
Head down to Norfolk. No ifs no buts.

At that time, there may be some early migrants as well as a few late winter birds.

And Norfolk has so much to offer in terms of sites, habitats and species - both common and rare.

Base yourselves on the North Nrofolk coast and enjoy sites like Snettisham, Titchwell, Holkham, Cley etc etc.

Make sure you talk to other birders if you don't have access to bird information services whilst down there.

The vast majority of birders will happily tell you what is about and what sites to try.

And there is a big Norfolk birding thread on the forum (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=791912#post791912) that will tell you even more!

Hope your daughter has a wonderful birthday!

Matthew
Thanks for your vote - you're probably right! But lets see if SW. Scotland gets any votes. I'll go over and look at the Norfolk thread, I've never been to Norfolk but obviously it's a fantastic area.

flippsy said:
It's my daughter's 21st and people on this site will not find it strange that she prefers a weekend trip to see birds rather than a party. (No doubt there'll be a bit of a party too B :) - in the hours of darkness) Any suggestions ? - we are all in our first year of birding, live in West Yorkshire but want to travel a bit further than we might normally do in a day - up to say 150 miles away. We've done a lot of inland reservoirs recently and seen a lot of ducks - could do with some sea birds and waders in stunning locations, with some nice less common woodland species too - so should it be Norfolk or South West Scotland? ( Devon or Cornwall are a bit far for a weekend) or are we being too greedy?

Holy Isalnd and the Northumberland coast are hard to beat at any time of year, plus you could call into Alnwich or somewhere like that for your party?

There is also the Ribble Marshes or Morecambe Bay then Woodwell and Leighton Moss which is in the north of Lancishire (pah!). In all honesty you can't go far wrong with the North Norfolk coast, but there are other alternatives too!

I'd definitely vote for Norfolk. We go there at least twice a year (used to every other weekend before the progeny arrived) and always, ALWAYS, have a good time. Birding is good, lots of variety in habitats and birds, and there are some excellent pubs for the all important celebration afterwards.
HTH

Nick

jimmy2faces said:
Holy Isalnd and the Northumberland coast are hard to beat at any time of year, plus you could call into Alnwich or somewhere like that for your party?

There is also the Ribble Marshes or Morecambe Bay then Woodwell and Leighton Moss which is in the north of Lancishire (pah!). In all honesty you can't go far wrong with the North Norfolk coast, but there are other alternatives too!
Thanks J2f! Leighton Moss and area was certainly on my list (despite being in red rose country) We could probably get there in a long day out though - Northumberland too - ooh it's so difficult - so much choice!
I'll have to ask my daughter her opinion...

Nick-on said:
I'd definitely vote for Norfolk. We go there at least twice a year (used to every other weekend before the progeny arrived) and always, ALWAYS, have a good time. Birding is good, lots of variety in habitats and birds, and there are some excellent pubs for the all important celebration afterwards.
HTH

Nick
Thanks for helpin Nick-on! My husband will be impressed with your vote - anything beginning with N, ending with N with a K in the middle has got to be good in his opinion!

I'd save Northumberland for when the auks and terns are back, and much as I love Dumfries & Galloway I'd have to agree that North Norfolk is probably your best bet, ticking all the boxes (and probably getting you some ticks too!).

Rob Smallwood said:
I'd save Northumberland for when the auks and terns are back, and much as I love Dumfries & Galloway I'd have to agree that North Norfolk is probably your best bet, ticking all the boxes (and probably getting you some ticks too!).
Thanks Rob - I appreciate the help and honesty!! I think it's going to be Norfolk this time - I've got loads to look forward to elsewhere for another time, and I was really looking for experienced comment about whether it was too early in the year to expect a lot from our Northern wonders..

It's got to be Norfolk, I think, Flippsy. Holy Island and Northumberland, and Lancashire, are great but they are just in range of long day trips, (although I'd give the both an overnight and two days if at all possible) Norfolk's too far to be a comfortable day trip, and has enough birding for a week - I don't think there is a serious contest if you insist on leaving God's County.

Got to be Norfolk for variety, geese to rarities - lesser yellowlegs being just one. Waders at a number of locations, especially Snettisham. Countless good pubs, many serving execellent food. Great reserves.

JWN Andrewes said:
If it was me I'd forget about the birds for a couple of days and stake out the Firth of Forth for those Orcas!

James
LOL! If they hang around till April - I just might - as I'm off up there for a week :D

bitterntwisted said:
It's got to be Norfolk, I think, Flippsy. Holy Island and Northumberland, and Lancashire, are great but they are just in range of long day trips, (although I'd give the both an overnight and two days if at all possible) Norfolk's too far to be a comfortable day trip, and has enough birding for a week - I don't think there is a serious contest if you insist on leaving God's County.
Thanks BT <lazy typist> exactly what I needed to hear from a fellow W.Yorkie! Plans are now afoot. Can't wait! it's going to be good!

hampers said:
Got to be Norfolk for variety, geese to rarities - lesser yellowlegs being just one. Waders at a number of locations, especially Snettisham. Countless good pubs, many serving execellent food. Great reserves.
Thanks to you too hampers! confirms everything I'm thinking. Bring it on!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back