• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good year/Bad year in the South-East (1 Viewer)

paulwfromtheden

Would be interested in people's view and see if the coincide with my impressions of which species have fared paerticularly well/badly this year...
Nothing scientific about it, just impressions...

Fared Well
  • Blackcap
  • Song Thrush
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Skylark
  • GSWoodpecker
  • Whitethroat

Fared Badly
  • Swift
  • Willow Warbler
  • Meadow Pipit

Would be interested in people's view and see if the coincide with my impressions of which species have fared paerticularly well/badly this year...
Nothing scientific about it, just impressions...

Fared Well
  • Blackcap
  • Song Thrush
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Skylark
  • GSWoodpecker
  • Whitethroat

Fared Badly
  • Swift
  • Willow Warbler
  • Meadow Pipit

Interesting idea!

Whitethroat in particular have done well locally. Swift are declining rapidly, used to be hundreds screaming around the area of my office at this time of year a few years ago, now more or less absent. WWarb not a common breeder locally, and the few Mipits seem to be holding on. I've seen quite a few young Goldfinch ; Greenfinch are reaching epidemic proportions; Song Thrush pairs are well up on last year, but worryingly I've seen no family parties yet.

To add to the "fared well" there seem to be more Blue, Great and Long-tailed Tit young around than last year.

Possibly faring badly are gulls and terns - only one juv BH Gull on Stanpit Marsh this afternoon, whereas I recall dozens last year around the same time, and haven't seen any young Terns yet.

Hi Paul

More or less spot on with my own impressions:

I'd add to your doing well list: (including pass.migs)
  • Ring Ouzel
  • Lesser Spots (only seen 1 def but quite a few being reported)
  • Chiffchaff
  • Little Terns (at Pagham, not Rye so much unfortunately)
  • Little Gulls
  • Sedge warbler
  • c. Redstart
  • Reed Warbler
  • Nightjar
  • Woodlark
  • Raptors in general esp. Buzzard
  • House Sparrow (just a bit better than last year)
  • Tree pipit

And add to those you've already noted not doing so well:

• Wood Warbler
  • Spotted Flycatcher
  • Sparrowhawk (seems down on last year)
  • Sandwich Tern
  • Song Thrush in traditional areas

These are just those I've noticed personally - it will be interesting to see how this ties up with a bigger picture

Last edited:
Hi Paul

More or less spot on with my own impressions:

I'd add to your doing well list: (including pass.migs)
  • Ring Ouzel
  • Lesser Spots (only seen 1 def but quite a few being reported)
  • Chiffchaff
  • Little Terns (at Pagham, not Rye so much unfortunately)
  • Little Gulls
  • Sedge warbler
  • c. Redstart
  • Reed Warbler
  • Nightjar
  • Woodlark
  • Raptors in general esp. Buzzard
  • House Sparrow (just a bit better than last year)
  • Tree pipit

And add to those you've already noted not doing so well:

• Wood Warbler
  • Spotted Flycatcher
  • Sparrowhawk (seems down on last year)
  • Sandwich Tern
  • Song Thrush in traditional areas

These are just those I've noticed personally - it will be interesting to see how this ties up with a bigger picture

Hi Debs,
Pleased that you added House Sparrow to your list as they seem to have fared a fit better here this year as well.
Interesting comment about the Greenfinches, I have never seen/heard so many, particularly as this time last year some parasite was about to decimate their numbers (apparently).
Spotted Fly's are a worry. I've only seen one other since the one we saw at Cuckmere. Over in France they are far more abundant, as are Buntings and most Hirundines.

I think the weather's been bad for Swifts Paul, I saw fantastically high numbers early June then numbers here dropped dramatically as they moved away from the coast due to heavy rains. Back again in smaller numbers but think it could be be a tough year breeding wise. My greenfinch dropped off sharply last summer and still not recovered - only 2-3 families this year

Hi Paul

I can only speak about the places I've been recently, certainly can't say for the whole of the southeast. I think that needs a study.;)

On Ashdown Forest: Redstart, woodlark, Dartford warbler and tree pipit are all thought to be doing very well.

The avocets and lapwing in the southeast of Sussex likewise.

Kittiwakes at Seaford Head and Newhaven are said to have more nests with more healthy chicks than last year.

And in my garden: The house sparrows are on their third broods!!! with many many juvs. Greenfinch, goldfinch, chaffinch, dunnock all with loads of juvs. On the farm have seen some GS woodpecker, yellowhammer, jay juvs and all the usuals but have not seen many blackcap or robins. Resident kestrel pair are still around but haven't see any young yet. Same with buzzards.

Joanne

Hi Paul,

Wherever I've been this year i've felt that Wrens have certainly done well so far this year, possibly even outperforming Robins. Seen more Tree Pipits this year as well.

Definitely agree Willow Warblers seem to have slumped as, contrary to other views, have Great Tits (sorry MSA or perhaps that's the difference between Hengistbury area and NE Surrey).

Steve

Hi Paul,

Wherever I've been this year i've felt that Wrens have certainly done well so far this year, possibly even outperforming Robins. Seen more Tree Pipits this year as well.

Definitely agree Willow Warblers seem to have slumped as, contrary to other views, have Great Tits (sorry MSA or perhaps that's the difference between Hengistbury area and NE Surrey).

Steve

I guess the mild winters we now have are very good for the Wrens.
The WW's are a worry though. Perhaps more a factor of problems where they winter?

Just to say Avocets in the south-east of Sussex were doing well until the appalling weather kicked in and killed most of the youngsters.

Some of the annual monitoring projects are still underway, but the weather does seem to have had an impact on many species this year.

If anyone wants to see how their impressions fit in to the national picture, BTO News carries excellent upates, but if you aren't a supporter of the BTO then you can access some great summaries on their website - e.g. for those interested in Greenfinch you could try
http://www.bto.org/birdtrends2006/wcrgrefi.htm

Finally, two summer migrants that I don't think have been mentioned yet appear to be having a bad year here in East Sussex - Sedge and Reed Warbler. Neither came back in high numbers, and there are not as many youngsters out as I'd expect by now.

(Let's hope 2007 is a blip!)

Generally agree up here in the East Midlands - swift are numerous but I have a feeling many haven't bred for some reason. I saw a vast flock only a few weeks ago over a nearby reservoir. House martins seem few and far between, too but sand martins are numerous. Greenfinches seem to be recovering from last year's disease. The late wet weather has certainly hit local little ringed plovers hard.

Last edited:
Around my patches in the Aldershot area including the garden, Goldfinches, Greenfinches, & House Sparrows have done well so far as have Reed Warblers,Whitethroats,Blackcaps. Little Ringed Plovers had 3 fledged last time I visited, Common Terns on 3 nests were seen & Black Headed Gulls bred locally for the first time in quite a few years. There were good numbers of Dartfords & Woodlarks on the local heaths, but Spot Flys as has been metioned are a worry, not seen any so far this Summer not even at Frensham where I've seen them in previous years. Swifts are around in reasonable numbers peaking in a flock of around 30 over the garden which I have reported to the RSPB via their survey which I would encourage others to participate in.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back