• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

Cheers all.

I think I'm waking up now, there's another bird on a stick nearing completion then I'll hopefully move on to something a bit more challenging.

Mike

Nowt wrong with birds on sticks - it's where you generally find the small ones...
As well as the bird itself, I like the background effect on that.

Cheers all.

I think I'm waking up now, there's another bird on a stick nearing completion then I'll hopefully move on to something a bit more challenging.

Mike

welcome back old bean: there's a number of us seem to have perked up as spring approached

glad to have you back - but Christmas was ages ago! lol, fine piece of work of what is one of the most difficult subjects to get right.

welcome back old bean: there's a number of us seem to have perked up as spring approached

I keep seeing glimpses of the sun between the rain clouds. The avocets on the scrape at Elmley are gearing up as is just about everything else, wheatears are passing through although so far I've only had unsatisfying looks at their dissappearing white bums. The days are longer and I found out I'm going back to Singapore in the summer! Things are looking up and my paintbrushes are calling.

Mike

Cheers Nike,

They're tricky little johnnies to be sure, red/orange chest particularly.

Mike

indeed, that colour is just impossible, don't think I've ever painted one successfully, and now have rather a defeatist attitude to them. That would have changed had my lingering bluethroat been out at the same time the robin was there - they were in the same spot all the time, just never together.

hard to get the colours right on the breast ,had a hell of a job ,on one i carved..
took me ages to get it right..
you have done a great job...mark

Colour is a little too saturated on my monitor after upload but hey-ho.

So here is the other bird on a stick completed, time to get thinking about something with a bit more substance.

Mike

Attachments

• wrenonastick.jpg
    wrenonastick.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 64
Elmley trip on Sunday morning was a chance to field test my new travel scope that I've bought for this year's Singapore trip. It's angled which I'm not used to but it's small and light and most importantly cheap and so far I'm happy with it. It's a Celestron Ultima 65 if anyone's interested.

We had really good weather in the morning with bright sunshine and light winds, it actually felt a bit like spring for a change! The birds must have thought so too 'cos I had some firsts of the year. Three swallows were working hard and low for insects, a sedge warbler was singing somewhere in the reeds, two male and one female yellow wags put in an appearance and, best of all, four or five wheatears seemed happy to pose for a while. Whata bird!

Sketches are a bit shakey because my sketchbook's been a bit neglected lately but I'm glad to be capturing something as practice for summer trip if nothing else.

Mike

Attachments

• avos 22 4 12.jpg
    avos 22 4 12.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 41
  • bhgs 22 4 12.jpg
    bhgs 22 4 12.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 1st wheaters.jpg
    1st wheaters.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 37
cracking...

Great to see your sketches again Mike! It looks like the shakiness quickly disappeared as you went from drawing 1 to 3. Wren looks good as well. One of its US relatives, the Carolina Wren, I remember reading somewhere was called by native Americans The Little Bird with the Big Voice. Yours is a big, little bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back