• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Independent birding in Ghana (2 Viewers)

John Ballinger

Hi guys,

My wife and I are heading to Ghana in January 2017 for 3 weeks. We are planning on doing some independent birding amongst other things. Our rough itinerary is to fly from Accra to Tamale, then 4 nights at Mole Motel in the park. Do you have any recommendations for guides or safaris at Mole?

After Mole, we'll take public transport down to Kumasi for a couple of days. While in Kumasi we might spend a few days checking out Owabi wildlife sanctuary and Lake Bosumtwi, before heading onto Kakum National Park for a few more days. Would be keen to camp within Kakum itself and explore the park. Again, any recommendations for guides?

Following Kakum we'll head down to Cape Coast, where we'll have 7 days in Busua surfing. In between the surfing we'd love to keep birding, so any tips for around this area? The Amansuri wetlands sound great. I've been reading the Bradt Ghana guide but would be grateful for any additional information or trip reports you could provide.

Thanks!

John

Sorry I didn't see this before now. We were in Kakum and stayed at the Rainforest Lodge which is a few km down the road. We took public minibuses to and from Kakum and they have plenty of guides at the entrance you can hire. They were good spotters and knew the birds well.

We also hired a car by the day from Holiday Inn Accra to go to Shai Hills where once again they have guides at the entrance to hire.

We only went to these 2 places so can't advise on the others.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back