• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bustards etc round Castro Verde, Portugal (1 Viewer)

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
In the planning stages of a family holiday in South West Spain next spring and hoping to sneak off for a day around Castro Verde. There is some good info here... http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=200594&highlight=castro+verde ..., particularly with regard to being responsible when seeking Bustards, but that being 6 years ago can anyone tell me if the situation remains the same? It's both species of Bustard that I'm particularly keen to see, with Sandgrouse, Roller and Bonelli's Eagle also high on the want list. Any good strategies, areas or sites that people can recommend?

Cheers

James

I had both bustards near Mertola in April last year, but no sandgrouse or Bonelli's, and only one distant Roller. Also these fellas, a nice highlight :t:

Attachments

• 00003.jpg
    00003.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 00002.jpg
    00002.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 00001.jpg
    00001.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 32
If you are there for only one day, you could do a lot worse than contacting Simon Wates (BF member) for guiding. I spent one-and-a-half day with him a few years ago and got most of my target species around Castro Verde. As I remember it, little bustard, sandgrouse, imperial eagle, iberian magpie, black vulture were just some of the highlights.

The Alentejo wines were really good, so a second reason to add a little extra time around there.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back