• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (4 Viewers)

Pink Feet

Approx 250 - 300 Pink Feet,in a field just north of Portlethen,beside the dual carriageway,next to the new Stewartie Milne homes.

Not much to report today. Even Newburgh was quite quiet, apart from a flock of several hundred Dunlins. At Collieston, there were a few Red-throated Divers, Fulmars, and good numbers of auks flying north, all Guillemots as far as I could tell. Also a steady passage of Dolphins heading south. Danestone Country Park had a pair of Dippers. I heard a Kingfisher calling on the Dee at Inchgarth.

Went to the RSPB Reserve at Fowlsheugh this morning (a few miles south of Stonehaven). It was absolutely teeming with birds, Guillemots and Razorbills by the thousand, both on the sea and on the cliffs. Also lots of Fulmars, and a bit of a surprise, a fly over Grey Wagtail. No sign of any Puffins or Kittiwakes. And the air was full of singing Skylarks. I found the contrast between yesterday north of Aberdeen and today to the south quite startling, and the weather conditions were identical.

Can I remind Aberdeen people about Loirston Loch. Located near Cove, it is about 1km x 200m, with direct access from the dual carriageway. Is is accessible from the 3, 117 and 21(No evening or Sunday service) buses, provided you are equipped for a damp hike, but circular routes are possible (one small barbed wire fence and the main road). It is adjacent to an almost abandoned Country Park, dilapidated well beyond being charming, but has 2 hides which the birds do approach closely. This is particularly so now that the bird scarer scarcely revolves and the flag has collapsed. (Not me guv, honest, it was just old age.)
There are normally about 200 birds there, reliable just now are Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Cormorant, Goosander, Goldeneye, Widgeon, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Larus. The LBJs are starting to appear, and I see deer on 50% of my visits.
And of course despite being close to civilisation, there could be others.
You could spend all day going to Strathbeg, not see much more, certainly not the bird you went to see, and not see anything at less than 60 x magnification. Although you may get wet feet, you will see the birds close enough to use a camera phone.
The catkins are out, the Curlew and Oystercathers are around.
Go on, you know you'll enjoy an hour away from Mega potential.

Quite good, particularly for seabirds and migrants.

Just outside the nearby Cruden Bay, Calvin, there is also Bullars of Buchan, which is great for nesting sea birds. In the spring/summer months if you look carefully there is sometimes Puffin there. On walks by the cliffs from Collieston I have had Puffin too. As Andrew said it is a good place for seabirds and for migrants.

Was up at Strathbeg again today. Overall not a huge amount going on, but lots of Pink-footed Geese were around, with flocks at Starnafin and in the fields out near Rattray. There was a Pale-bellied Brent Goose amongst the flock from Starnafin, as well as several Barnacle Geese in both flocks. Meanwhile at Fen Hide there was no sign of the Bittern, but there was a Ring-tailed Hen Harrier here, and a Barn Owl was reported before our arrival at the reserve but not seen by us. A Woodcock flushed up near the Crimond Airfield car park for the hides was a slightly strange record too.

That's good, it also comes with just over an acre of land I think, of course in today's metric system an acre means nothing to me but according to Google it's the same as an American football field. Which also means nothing to me but I'm pretty sure it can't be that different from a "soccer" field ;)

An acre is also the amount of land that a horse can plough in a day!

Does that one help?;)

D

EDIT: I see your New Year Resolution! All of them! - this year???:eek!:

Spring has arrived at the Tarland Waste Water Treatment plant, in spite of appearances. The pond is mostly frozen, and there is still a lot of snow lying although the grass is beginning to poke through. Today there were 24 Oystercatchers, about 10 Lapwings, displaying at times, 9 Teal, 4 Golden Plovers and 3 Snipe. Also 3 Fieldfares, 2 Mistle Thrushes, 2 Black-headed Gulls and some singing Skylarks. Several hundred Pink-footed Geese were in or around the reserve.

Strange Encounter

Was at work today and at 7am,I heard a strange call coming from Broad Street,where the Peregrines often are.I saw 4 Herring Gulls chasing something towards Union Street and it wasnt until they flew up the way,that I noticed it was a blue coloured Parrot :-O and before anyone asks,no,I had not been drinking..!

Was at work today and at 7am,I heard a strange call coming from Broad Street,where the Peregrines often are.I saw 4 Herring Gulls chasing something towards Union Street and it wasnt until they flew up the way,that I noticed it was a blue coloured Parrot :-O and before anyone asks,no,I had not been drinking..!

Possibly a migrant from Norway?

I've seen that before. Very good, with beautiful shots and a very interesting take on Aberdeen. It does the city proud. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back