• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guide book / ID book for Southern Morocco (1 Viewer)

stevem76

Hi all,

some great information in previous threads as I plan for a few days around Agadir in June (not sure if this is a good tiome to go but the missus is goin gon business so I'm tagging along!).

Can anyone recommend a guide book for S. Morocco (may go to Western Sahara?) and thj best ID book for the region - haven't been to Africa before so no other books, although realise that Collins may well cover most of the birds for Morocco? Any thoughts on good sites for the time opf year also welcome.

Any advice gratfeully received!

Thanks,

Steve

There are a couple of good bird-finding guides that cover Morocco but only one of them , by Patrick Bergier, goes as ar as the western Sahara bit (which is a long way from Agadir by the way).

June will be hot.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I guess the next question is - is it worth the trip down to Western Sahara? I like the idea of a road trip whilst there, but I imagine the roads are not fantastic so it may take longer than I think by looking at a map! If there's not much on the way or much different down there, I may well just spend more time travelling in Morocco and get more bang for my buck.

Thanks for the tip on the book - which is the other that is doesn't include WS?

Thanks again,

Steve

Hi,

The main roads down western Saharan provinces are as good as in the north or even better because are much straighter than the ones we have here in the north. I went down to Tarfaya and was impressed by the quality of the roads there, and it is likely that the same down south to the Mauritanian border.
If you are still planning to bird the Sahara, there is an article by P. Bergier on “Where to observe birds in the Moroccan Atlantic Sahara” written in French and contains ample information about rounds, sites and some good maps of the areas to visit, it’s worth seeing it. There are other trip reports from the Sahara in www.go-south.org. As already mentioned, June temperatures in the Sahara can be very high. Definitely worth a trip down there to see the Sahelian/Saharan birds recently seen there.

Regards

Thanks Acro, I can see I will need to brush up on my French bird names for this trip! Thanks for all the info, I'm looking forward to planning the trip almost as much as going!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back