• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire Dales (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Took a trip out with partnyorsha into Derbyshire to make a long overdue visit to two of my favourite dales.

Lathkill Dale and Bradford Dale are by no means “natural” – in fact the hand of Man is evident all over the place.

I don’t know the history of the dales particularly, but the area has been (and still is) a mining and quarrying centre for many decades, perhaps centuries. The landscape is dotted with old mine shafts, generally covered but in some cases…??? (so don’t venture off the footpaths!)

However I am not sure of the role that Lathkill and Bradford Dales have played in Britain’s industrial past, but what has been left behind are two semi-natural dales whose rivers have undergone a large amount of weiring, and probably a little redirection.

Nevertheless, Lathkill certainly, and Bradford I think, are now nature reserves, and the remnants of all the interferences are in fact very pleasant both to human eyes, and evidently those of the birds also.

The water, limestone filtered, is so clear, that it is possible to watch the Little Grebes as they swim beneath the surface.

The main reason for visiting the dales was to pick up on a “old favourite” that I haven’t seen in too long a time, that is the Dipper – both dales being rather popular with these little fellas. We were most certainly not disappointed, and probably saw well in excess of 20 Dippers all told, along with good numbers of Grey Wagtails, another “target” for the day, and a couple of Redstart – a “hopeful”.

In fact the day was just about spot on, with the only downer being the Austrian Sausage Shop in Bakewell being closed!

For the locals and anyone who is interested, we parked at Over Haddon, and after making our way down in to Lathkill, we headed up the dale until meeting the Limestone Way, which we followed all the way to and through Bradford Dale, until meeting again with the lower end of Lathkill whence we made our way back up to Over Haddon. We didn’t rush, as is evidenced by the fact that we took more than 6 hours over the journey!

Anyway, a full list of the day’s birds, including those seen to and from home follows.

Pheasant
Mute Swan
Canada Goose
Mallard
Tufted Duck
Goosander
Swift
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Moorhen
Coot
Black-headed Gull
Little Grebe
Great Crested Grebe
Grey Heron
Magpie
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Dipper
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Spotted Flycatcher
Robin
Redstart
Starling
Nuthatch
Wren
Coal Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Swallow
House Martin
Willow Warbler
Chiffchaff
Whitethroat
Skylark
House Sparrow
Pied Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Meadow Pipit
Dunnock
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Bullfinch
Yellowhammer

I’ve attached some photos… forgive the quality, I’m still practicing!

Attachments

• Blackbird 800 x 600.jpg
    Blackbird 800 x 600.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Dipper 800 x 600.jpg
    Dipper 800 x 600.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Grey Wagtail 800 x 600.jpg
    Grey Wagtail 800 x 600.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Meadow Pipit 800 x 600.jpg
    Meadow Pipit 800 x 600.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 134
Andrew said:
Trying to find the missing Rock Thrush?
That would be nice!!!

Andrew said:
Gosh! Twenty Dippers is some number!
Oh, it's a brilliant area for Dippers, but I must say we outstripped our expectations by a long way. Probably timed it just about right... there's so much life out there, and that includes juvenile everythings.

I reckon we saw about 15 adult Dippers and 5 juvies - many of the adults obviously feeding nestlings not quite fledged.

They're such great birds.

Also saw two juvie Grey Wags being fed by parents, and of course dozens of duck-, coot-, and moorhenlings!

And the Mayflies!!! Plenty for the trout to be well-fed!

Seems to me that you had a top-notch day, I am long overdue a trip to the area myself, having read this, It won't be many days before I get back up there.

Brilliant day, Nigel.

Actually, there were at least two photographers there today with some serious kit - taking shots of the dipper in my pic above.

I struggled to keep them out of the frame! ;)

I expect they got some superb photos if they were any good.

my home area folks
don't get back enough

reminds me of some great camping weekends with my scally martes when I was a bit younger. I used to love walking thru the dale as the sun came up, slightly worse for wear, looking at the flowers and butterflies.

a beautiful place Birdman - was important for Lime and Lead a long time ago - and do watch those mine shafts!

Birdman,

Great tale of 2 Dales!
I shall be heading home this weekend..
Will definately get to Padley Gorge and Bradford Dale...
Cannot wait..

Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back