• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape Cod - pelagic trips & advice (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I am currently looking into planning a trip to Massachusetts / Cape Cod from mid to late Sept and would appreciate any advice to where to base myself and any short (i.e. 4-6 hr) pelagic trips that may be available to book at this time.
I intend to take 2 or 3 Whale watching trips during my stay and although I expect to see various seabirds on these trips I would be grateful to hear about any trips specifically aimed at birds that may be available.
I am open to advice on where to base myself during this time but am leaning towards a two stop itinerary such as Plymouth followed by a few days on Cape Cod although I'm completely open to suggestions.
I've never visited Cape Cod itself so any advice on where to base myself to go on trips and visit the best birding areas would be of great help.
I am more interested in bird & wildlife photography than counting species seen etc so area's or sites that allow good opportunities for photography would be of greatest interest.

Many Thanks

It has been a few years since I was there, but since no one else has responded I'll tell you what I remember.

First, whale watching trips are probably your best bet for short pelagics. Trips dedicated to pelagic birds generally head fairly far offshore, so they take longer. The Brookline Bird Club offers the best trips. They have one in late September, but it is an overnight trip, so probably not to your liking.

Second, there is a significant potential for traffic bottlenecks getting on and off the Cape, especially on the weekends. So I would stay on the Cape for those days you are going to be visiting there.

Also, you might consider hiring a boat to transport you to Monomoy Island, a National Wildlife Refuge. This is on the lower cape IIRC and is basically a long sandbar where you can walk for several hours watching the many shore and seabirds that roost/nest/feed on the island.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Jim much appreciated.
I will certainly look into visiting Monomoy island as you suggest and have just ordered the 'Birds of Cape Cod' which will also hopefully prove useful regarding best places to visit etc.

It has been a few years since I was there, but since no one else has responded I'll tell you what I remember.

First, whale watching trips are probably your best bet for short pelagics. Trips dedicated to pelagic birds generally head fairly far offshore, so they take longer. The Brookline Bird Club offers the best trips. They have one in late September, but it is an overnight trip, so probably not to your liking.

Second, there is a significant potential for traffic bottlenecks getting on and off the Cape, especially on the weekends. So I would stay on the Cape for those days you are going to be visiting there.

Also, you might consider hiring a boat to transport you to Monomoy Island, a National Wildlife Refuge. This is on the lower cape IIRC and is basically a long sandbar where you can walk for several hours watching the many shore and seabirds that roost/nest/feed on the island.

A local birder organizes short pelagics from Chatham - but not to a fixed schedule - details here http://capecodbirds.org/chatham-pelagics/
I think he posts details of upcoming trips on MASSBIRD, but on short notice.

Whale watching trips run from Barnstable Harbour (Hyannis Whale Watcher - note that they do NOT run from Hyannis) and Provincetown (Dolphin Fleet).

Depending on when you will be there the Cape Cod Bird Festival is on 18-20 Sept http://www.capecodbirdclub.org/bird-festival/cape-cod-bird-festival/ and has a variety of organized trips, including Monomoy and a longer pelagic. These festivals and organized field trips aren't everyone's cup of tea but it would be a good way to see some local areas guided by top local birders.

Chatham is a pretty town handy for most of the Cape and would make a good base, particularly for Monomoy but also Mass Audubon sites at Wellfleet and Long Pasture and not too bad for the Beech Forest at Provincetown which is a migration hotspot (although I think better in Spring). If you went to the Festival you might as well stay in Hyannis those days.

Thanks for the information Jim much appreciated.
I will certainly look into visiting Monomoy island as you suggest and have just ordered the 'Birds of Cape Cod' which will also hopefully prove useful regarding best places to visit etc.

May I ask where you're getting your copy from?.....I can't seem to track one down (if it's the Cape Cod bird club book) save Amazon (for £61.06!). We're there in early October. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back