• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (10 Viewers)

Red-rumped Swallow, very nice, they only seem to get up to our region on rainy days in April(and never at our altitude of course:-C). How far south in France are you Dan?
Double Hobby action overhead here yesterday, two together catching insects (sorry H2!).

Sorry took my time replying ...

Basically a village called Vianne 1.75 hours south of Bergerac, 2 hours north of the Pyrenees, 2 hours west to Bordeaux, 2 hours east to Toulouse ...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...0xfceda1046d5ce432!8m2!3d44.196464!4d0.320556

Think it's about 60m above sea level, rolling or flat vineyard agricultural country. About 5 miles east of 'Les Landes' big foresty area in SW France.

Parent's place is on the north edge of the village, small river valley acts as a bit of a migration route.

(My two previous RR Swallows were also late summer I believe, but before 2010.

Collins doesn't show RR Swallow in France so have presumed these were kind of northward post-breeding dispersal??)

Et tu? ;)

That's the problem, I was sweeping the yard and in another world... o:)

Got to be on the ball, Simon.

I've had single Yellowhammer & Yellow Wagtail - the second doesn't occur as a breeder here - but today I heard my second, and saw three more - not from the house this time though.

Got to be on the ball, Simon.

Delighted to see a Garden Warbler from my garden this am.

You are obviously more on the ball than me - I had a probable Garden Warbler early this morning with sleepy eyes and bins before I got my "radar" going. Put the scope up to try and find it again but no luck. There were a few migrants about though, 2 very nice Willow Warblers and 3 lovely Iberian Chiffies.

I will never get bored of posting up lists of birds I've seen ;)

No 53) today - a Common Redstart moving through the garden am

From 7 week visit late spring into summer this year (garden ticks in bold) -

1) Jay
2) Magpie
3) C Crow
4) Jackdaw

5) Buzzard
6) Kestrel
7) Sparrowhawk
8) Black Kite
9) Honey Buzzard
10) Booted Eagle (pale)
11) Hobby

12) Night Heron
13) Mallard
14) Tawny Owl

15) Green Woodpecker
16) GS Woodpecker

17) Woodpigeon
18) Collared Dove
19) Feral Pigeon

20) Starling
21) House Sparrow
22) Black Redstart
23) Blackbird
24) Hoopoe
25) Golden Oriole
26) Nightingale

27) Blue Tit
28) Great Tit
29) Long-tailed Tit

30) Cirl Bunting
31) Serin
32) Greenfinch
33) Chaffinch
34) Goldfinch

35) Blackcap
36) Melodius Warbler
37) Willow Warbler

38) White Wagtail

39) Swallow
40) House Martin
41) Swift
42) Spotted Flycatcher

43) Yellow-legged Gull
44) Grey Heron
45) Firecrest

46) Quail (h only)
47) Wryneck (h only)
48) Black Woodpecker

This visit - 15th August on -

49) Black Stork
50) Tree Sparrow
51) Fan-tailed Warbler
52) Chiffchaff
53) Common Redstart

Hobbies and Red r Swallows

Seven Buzzards and Sparrowhawk had me watching the sky today - which is how I got to spot the

HOBBY

zooming over.

Yay!

Well worth a chocolate hobnob with your cuppa later H!

Dan, Red-rumped Swallow does nest in France, over 100 pairs as per the recent French Atlas, but all well to the east of you, so your sightings are very likely to be birds from Spain.

32. Eurasian Collared-Dove
33. Barn Swallow
34. Bushtit
All three abundant in Leisure World and I see them often. I finally saw them in my yard.

3 in a day in August, Sue! That's amazing.

For me a predictable

64: Meadow Pipit (or 65 if Feral Pigeon counts)

passing overhead - probably the first of many in the coming months.

Last edited:
|:$|
3 in a day in August, Sue! That's amazing.

For me a predictable

64: Meadow Pipit (or 65 if Feral Pigeon counts)

passing overhead - probably the first of many in the coming months.
|:$|Not all in the same day. I just failed to add the others when I saw them. I went to post the Bushtits and noticed that the last bird I had on BF was the Barn Owl, but on my paper garden list, I had the other two written down. I didn't realize I hadn't posted them.

#49. Lesser Whitethroat - this was at July
#50. Sterna sp - 75 % sure it was Common but Arctic is possibility too. And this was at July also.
#51. Goldfinch - You got it right: This was at July...
#52. Great White Egret - Noup. This was just a last Sunday morning. I almost choked my coffee. :eek!:

Cor, G W Egret, was that a new one for the garden?
Here we've been having a good passage of Willow Warblers, the odd Tree Pipit and Common Redstart plus both Spotted and Pied Flycatchers, I like to imagine that the latter have come from your lovely part of the world Wari, but I imagine the Finnish birds pass much further east. Keeping my eyes open for a Collared Fly, that would make me choke on my café and croissant for sure.

I saw first GWE in my garden at last summer, but I was out then. Now I was indoors (Kitchen tick). Look's like GWE's getting more common in every year in southern Finland. But there is still no nesting found.

Lot's of Willow Warbler passage here also. And at last weekend, I still got to enjoy the sing of Common Redstart.
Some years I get Spotted Flycatchers for garden tick, but not this year. And I'm thinking they are all gone allready. Pied F. I get every summer. Few times pair of PF has nesting in one of my nest boxes.
Maybe that climate warming brings some Collared Flys here too...3:)

Now we have these in one of the boxes:

Attachments

• ampparit.jpg
    ampparit.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 61
Look's like GWE's getting more common in every year in southern Finland. But there is still no nesting found.

Won't be long - they was a rarity when I arrived in Lithuania, now a commonplace bird, breeding in several localities.

Still always a good bird to get on the garden list though - I think we have a slightly exclusive club :t:

Camarina Bird Project, Spain

Garden yard list's quickly increasing due to our strategic location on the way to the Strait of Gibraltar.

Wjust yesterday evening we could see a dozen of Honey Buzzards flying South.

As promised, here's some pictures of the Camarina Bird Project, that will include the construction of a water pond and some bird feeders by this month.
We already have a pair of Nuthatches and a Sardinian Warbler coming to the water.

We will be soon making a tutorial on how to attract birds to your garden.

Thanks, Richard Prior for your updates on the Ronda area.

Attachments

• DSC01983.jpg
    DSC01983.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC02002.jpg
    DSC02002.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 59
Garden yard list's quickly increasing due to our strategic location on the way to the Strait of Gibraltar.

Wjust yesterday evening we could see a dozen of Honey Buzzards flying South.

As promised, here's some pictures of the Camarina Bird Project, that will include the construction of a water pond and some bird feeders by this month.
We already have a pair of Nuthatches and a Sardinian Warbler coming to the water.

We will be soon making a tutorial on how to attract birds to your garden.

Thanks, Richard Prior for your updates on the Ronda area.

Can't wait to see what comes to drink and bathe at that pond!

Just missed a garden tick yesterday, the rain stopped for a full 10 minutes so we went for a walk up the road and saw a Red Kite, a species I've not seen closer than 25 minutes away down near Annecy. Unfortunately it decided to drift off in the 'wrong' direction and never came past the house.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back