• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raising sparrow with canary (1 Viewer)

BrookLerouge

Hi,

I've recently found a 5-6 day old sparrow the 14th of July roaming on the sidewalk of Bordeaux in France, i did see the parents but what toubled me at the time was the amount of dogs that could have armed him.

I managed to put him inside a backpack and get him inside one of my spare cage.

I started hand feeding it until he was a bit older, now he just flies around the room and sit on my canary's cage, both together is quite strange, the sparrow will allways come back where the canary is is, if the canary is in his cage, the sparrow is going to be sitting on it. When outside of the cage, sometimes the sparrow would try to peck the canary.

I dont know if i should keep it for his own safety but i'am scared he would be a treat to my canary. I've allready ryed to release it, but when i got scared for his sake i went down with my canary's cage and he flew back to me.

What should i do from your point of view?

Hi there and welcome to Birdforum.
In my view you should release it now, preferably where there are other sparrows feeding.
My advice if you see dependent young birds that look to be 'in danger' as you thought this one was, is to leave them alone, or at most, put them out of sight of cats etc, the parent birds will do the rest!

I fear that releasing it now is just consigning it to starve to death. In my opinion you now have a cage bird pet for its life. It is imprinted on your canary as a parent by the sounds of it, and it is probably best you keep them together from now on. The sparrow will not harm the canary.
As Richard says in circumstances like this the best action is always to leave the young bird alone, at most moving it a short distance out of the way of people, dogs and especially, cats.
Mick

Some old man advise me to not let him around peomle's sight since it was under a tree in the middle of Bordeaux. He was not able to fly back to his nest at the time. Now he does sleep in a nest i made in the room on a higher place. eat grains and fortification powder for canary. I dont realy know what to buy more for his sake...

Well the old man was wrong, but that's in the past. If you treat it the same as your canary for food etc. then I think that should be ok. Both are seed-eaters although I think they might both appreciate some protein rich food like mealworms occasionally.
Bon chance,
Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back