• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Faro - catching Gannets (1 Viewer)

The Faroes are not in the EU and anyway there is a similar traditional hunt in the Hebrides.

I assumed that as a state of Denmark it would be in the EU but on checking, I see that you're right?

Regardless of what we think about the 'custom', 500 young Gannets from one colony is a lot of birds

A

I assumed that as a state of Denmark it would be in the EU but on checking, I see that you're right?

Regardless of what we think about the 'custom', 500 young Gannets from one colony is a lot of birds

A

The only question worth posing: is it sustainable?

Actually it isn't the only worthwhile question, a better or additional one would be: is it measured and regulated to ensure it is and remains sustainable?

Other than that, compared to the nightmare rape of the oceans in general and bearing in mind it has no bearing sustainable or not on the survival of the Northern Gannet, its pretty minor in the scheme of things. But have the (insert pejorative here) Faroese stopped their appalling, barbaric, prehistoric grind yet?

John

Hi John,

The only question worth posing: is it sustainable?

Actually it isn't the only worthwhile question, a better or additional one would be: is it measured and regulated to ensure it is and remains sustainable?

A new threat to Gannets that might be more serious: Chinese fishers.

Here is a German article on "fishers" apparently going after Gannets exclusively. In 2013, the Mauritanian coast guard found an estimated catch of 95,000 Gannets on board of a single Chinese trawler:

http://www.dda-web.de/downloads/tex...menacker_2014_spurensuche_vor_mauretanien.pdf

Another German magazine, "Vögel", subsequently published photos from the hold of what I suppose must have been another trawler, so the fear that Gannets are industrially exploited as a food source by the hundred thousands seems to be quite real.

Regards,

Henning

Hi John,

A new threat to Gannets that might be more serious: Chinese fishers.

Here is a German article on "fishers" apparently going after Gannets exclusively. In 2013, the Mauritanian coast guard found an estimated catch of 95,000 Gannets on board of a single Chinese trawler:

http://www.dda-web.de/downloads/tex...menacker_2014_spurensuche_vor_mauretanien.pdf

Another German magazine, "Vögel", subsequently published photos from the hold of what I suppose must have been another trawler, so the fear that Gannets are industrially exploited as a food source by the hundred thousands seems to be quite real.

Regards,

Henning

That's pretty much it for the Northern Gannet if the Chinese start eating them as they eat everything else.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back