• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

chaffinches (1 Viewer)

jape

gday, currently in UK and one of my daily pleasures is watching birds in garden hedges. I will never be a fanatic but I notice many birds after 30 yrs abroad that I enjoyed as a child.
I see spadgers, various tits, wood pidgeons, small crow things, magpie, thrush, robin, wren, blackbird. I do not see chaffinches but used to see many 30 yrs ago. Are they endangered or rare? Friends note same.
childhood in Kent, now in Warrington.

Hi jape, and welcome to BF. I don't think chaffinches are declining; but at this time of year they do tend to flock together: so if there's no flock near you then you may not see any. But if you do find a flock then they can be very numerous indeed.

They have declined quite a bit in the last 10 years or so (BTO trends). There's also regional and local variation in numbers; if they don't like the habitat in Warrington (e.g. not enough trees), they'll move elsewhere.

PS Welcome to Birdforum!

Thanks. A friend has seen some but not local to me and smaller groups. I posted on FB and got a few reports of amateurs like me noticing decline and perhaps related to increase of magpies.

On a good note, a few bullfinch and goldfinches seen by some. Probably on teazel, probably also taking grapes from feeders.

i do have responses of very serious predation of eggs and young this year, wrens, robins, blackbird and collared dove in one yard alone observed by friends by magpies but we are just amateurs noticing local effects which could have many reasons

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back