• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Moth from Swasiland (1 Viewer)

hans-b

Moth with strange pattern (for camouflage?)
If it is not possible to identify the moth the family or genus would also be helpful.

Thanks for your help
Hans

www.boeckler.name

Attachments

• IMG_9065.jpg
    IMG_9065.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 26
I know next to nothing about African moths, but until someone knowlegable comes along... This looks somewhat like some of the species in the genus Dysgonia (Erebidae), could this be a starting point?

Cheers
Paul

Thanks Paul.
I checked Dysgonia in Google and Wikipedia. For me they are all different. I miss the light stripes in the middle and at the outer side of the wings.

Hi Hans
I don't think it is T. hyppasia. In that species the diagonal line across the forewing doesn't quite reach the pale costa (i.e. the black is not fully divided), it also has more black parallel to the termen. I think T. pusilla is a better fit (see previous link) but I can check your image againt specimens in the Natural History Museum collection tomorrow as I will be doing some research there.
Martin

Hi Hans
I've now had a look at the collection and have changed my mind, I think it is T. hyppasia.
It is a larger species (wingspan 30-35mm) than T. pusilla (c.20mm). In some specimens of hyppasia the diagonal line does meet the pale costa.
It just shows how one can be fooled by a picture and the importance of a sense of scale.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back