• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two long shots from Southern Tanzania (1 Viewer)

RichardP

Both of these posted more in hope than expectation, because both are notoriously difficult.
Photo 1 is (probably) a female weaver in Ruaha in November - Mwagusi river area.
Photos 2&3 are a Cisticola in the Selous (Lake Manze area) also in late November.
Any thoughts gratefully received.

RichardP

Attachments

• Ruaha01_171117.jpg
    Ruaha01_171117.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 28
  • Selous01_171124.jpg
    Selous01_171124.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Selous02_171124.jpg
    Selous02_171124.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 19
Hi. Sorry you had to wait for so long for a reply to this.

I think the weaver is juv African Golden Weaver, which has a white belly and dark eye. Unfortunately the dark eye is not mentioned in Stevenson and Fanshawe, although the belly is mentioned but not illustrated, which means people often find this a difficult ID. Zimmermann et al. 'Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania' which I have found a great help when trying to get IDs when S&F doesn't work, both describes and illustrates this juvenile.

I think the cisticola is just Rattling Cisticola.

Anyway, by answering I'll bump your question, so if I'm wrong, there's a chance someone else will come along to correct me.

Thanks for your suggestions - it doesn't seem as though anyone wants to argue with you, and they make sense to me, given what I saw elsewhere in those parks, so I shall tentatively adopt those ids.

Many thanks for replying.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back