• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (55 Viewers)

Must be world champion at hide and seek :eek!:

Blimey, one for the record books Phil!
:-O:-O:-O:-O

If memory serves me right, there's a record for 1435, but I'm sure Phil will put me right.:-O

Des.

That's a pretty old Avocet Andy. I take it it had a walking stick.;)

:clap::clap::clap:

Thanks chaps for giving me the giggles.

Having looked at last year's annual report I see that the Avocet that dropped in at 2.40 this afternoon is only the third autumn record for the site; the other 2 having occurred last year - 17th to 18th October & 9th November.

Here are a couple of record shots of today's bird, which was still at the Flashes when I left at about 5pm:

Attachments

• Avocet060114(2).jpg
    Avocet060114(2).jpg
    519.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Avocet061014(1).jpg
    Avocet061014(1).jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 68
:clap::clap::clap:

Thanks chaps for giving me the giggles.

Having looked at last year's annual report I see that the Avocet that dropped in at 2.40 this afternoon is only the third autumn record for the site; the other 2 having occurred last year - 17th to 18th October & 9th November.

Here are a couple of record shots of today's bird, which was still at the Flashes when I left at about 5pm:

Depends when one defines autumn starting; we also had a bird on the 21st September this year but autumn officially started the following day

Anything else about today Andy?

Highlights of this afternoon's visit

Flashes:

Avocet, Curlew, 9 Snipe, 102 Lapwing, 116 Teal, 59 Shoveler, 2 Wigeon,
Raven, Kingfisher, Sparrowhawk, Pheasant

Sailing Pool:

2 Great Crested Grebe

Moors Pool - from Jacobs Hide:

Common Sandpiper (briefly flew around Southern end before heading south), 4 Snipe, 22 Shoveler, 21 Teal, 16 Tufted Duck, 10 Wigeon, Pintail, Pochard (drake), 4 Little Egret, 4 GC Grebe, at least 6 Little Grebe, 24 Greylag Geese, 2 Cetti's Warbler, 2 Kingfisher, Water Rail.

Flashes:

Avocet, Curlew, 9 Snipe, 102 Lapwing, 116 Teal, 59 Shoveler, 2 Wigeon,
Raven, Kingfisher, Sparrowhawk, Pheasant

Sailing Pool:

2 Great Crested Grebe

Moors Pool - from Jacobs Hide:

Common Sandpiper (briefly flew around Southern end before heading south), 4 Snipe, 22 Shoveler, 21 Teal, 16 Tufted Duck, 10 Wigeon, Pintail, Pochard (drake), 4 Little Egret, 4 GC Grebe, at least 6 Little Grebe, 24 Greylag Geese, 2 Cetti's Warbler, 2 Kingfisher, Water Rail.

Nice to see the Common Sand hanging on although its going to have to stay a bit longer to make a dent on the record book as latest departure:

1. 5th November - 2008
2. Unspecified date in November - 2002
3. 31st October - 2001
4. 19th October - 2010
5. 18th October - 1999

work party at North Moors

Today's task: To open up the seasonal pool at the NM.
To try and stop the pool totally drying out in future years, we removed part of the tytha (reed mace) bed. Immediately this released water and then we dug connecting channels to the main water body. This allowed water to flow into the dried out areas. Even today there were plenty of water based insects and a few dragonflies. Ultimately we are trying to keep this area as a 'pond' and with this the intimate, hands on approach, of getting close to dragonflies and other pond life.

Thanks to the 11 of us that battle through the torrential rain for the first hour or so.:t:

Attachments

• 1. B4 wrk NM seson DSCF2812 (2).JPG
    1. B4 wrk NM seson DSCF2812 (2).JPG
    495.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 2. B4 wrkDSCF2237 (2).JPG
    2. B4 wrkDSCF2237 (2).JPG
    243.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 3 afta wrk DSCF2825 (2).JPG
    3 afta wrk DSCF2825 (2).JPG
    449.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 4. afta wrkDSCF2819 (3).JPG
    4. afta wrkDSCF2819 (3).JPG
    475 KB · Views: 87
  • 5. afta DSCF2820 (2).JPG
    5. afta DSCF2820 (2).JPG
    357.4 KB · Views: 88
Birding today on the reserve

Moors:
Plenty of activity in the SW Marsh, greylag loafing on the shore and all 4 little egrets feeding there.
counts: GCG 5, wigeon 7, shoveler 20, teal 30, pintail ( moulting male - later Andy's 11), pochard 3, greylag 15, Little egret 4, Common gull ad, skylark over, cettis 3, chiffchaff singing.

FLASHES:
When I first arrived at the cuckoo hide 3pm things were quiet, then 3 birds flew around at the back of the Flashes. They soon landed and the 2 birds I saw were dunlin, I was told later that the 3rd bird was a pied wag. Gulls from there after started to arrive. At 5.15 a large flock of duck dropped in, this included 50+ shoveler and 7 pintail - all from the Moors (apparently flushed by a sparrowhawk). At 5.30 a green sand called and loads of BHG's came in to roost.
Counts: Teal 119, shoveler 55 (75 min on reserve), pintail 7 (they returned to the Moors after a few minutes), coot 12, water rail 2 (1 Hen pool), moorhen 45, snipe 6, green sand, dunlin 2, curlew 18, lapwing 35, BHG 1900 roosted, LBBG 7 roosted, common gull ad (different to Moors bird), herring gull 5, peregrine, sparrowhawk, buzzard 2, kingfisher 2, green woodp, Raven 2, stock dove 25, pied wag 35, grey wag 2, starling 200,

Last edited:
Moors Pool this afternoon

Highlights:

Pintail 11, Wigeon 7, Shoveler c70, Pochard 5 (3 drakes), Little Grebe 11, GC Grebe 4, Common Sandpiper, Snipe, Little Egret 2, Cetti's Warbler 3, Buzzard 2, Kingfisher 2, Med Gull (1st winter)

The Pintail all had the same female/juv/eclipse type plumage bar one, which appeared to be a moulting male.

The Med Gull was first spotted by Tim (Birder Gladys) from the Jacobs' hide, who picked out the dark outer primaries and secondaries as it flew in. I thought that it might be a bit late in the year for Med Gull but the masked face, white eyelids, short, thick bill and dark legs clearly confirmed Tim's initial id.

I briefly spotted 2 small waders flying from west to east across the pool in the fading light, but was unable to satisfactorily id them - my feeling was Dunlin.

No sign of the Bittern tonight - Tim and I stayed till 7.15pm.

Finally 3 pics from today:

1. A distant shot of 8 of the 11 Pintails
2. Migrant Hawker - one of several seen this afternoon
3. An atmospheric, moonlit view across the water from the Jacobs' Hide

Attachments

• Pintails.jpg
    Pintails.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 94
  • MigrantH071014.jpg
    MigrantH071014.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Moorspool071014.jpg
    Moorspool071014.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
A pair of Bullfinch, 2chaffs, 7 mistle thrush and 2 song thrush plus a kingfisher from the cuckoo hide earlier. Nothing on the cleared area on the floor but its only a matter of time. Did see a brief glimpse of a waterail flying in to the reeds too but it was a glimpse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back