• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (64 Viewers)

Work party.

Today's work party tackled 'Swampy Bottom' which is the area just before the Chestnut tree on the right hand end of the causeway. The whole area was overgrown and a large number of fish fry were trapped in the small pool.
The whole area was pollarded and the channel dug out to connect to the main pool. Also branches were removed to create a fly through for Kingfishers.
Some pictures enclosed so you can see the lovely mud you missed.3:)

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 120
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    725.7 KB · Views: 112
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    692.5 KB · Views: 140
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    742 KB · Views: 126
Work party

A few more pics.3:)

Attachments

• p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    799.6 KB · Views: 159
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 140
  • p7.jpg
    p7.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 122
  • p8.jpg
    p8.jpg
    861.4 KB · Views: 155
Today's work party tackled 'Swampy Bottom' which is the area just before the Chestnut tree on the right hand end of the causeway. The whole area was overgrown and a large number of fish fry were trapped in the small pool.
The whole area was pollarded and the channel dug out to connect to the main pool. Also branches were removed to create a fly through for Kingfishers.
Some pictures enclosed so you can see the lovely mud you missed.3:)

Great pics, Bob.

I couldn't stop myself taking the register: Paul M (gaffer), Bob O, Bob P, Bob R, Charles, Dave, Janet, Janette, Keith, Ray, Terry, Tony and a newcomer, Jim. We hope you enjoyed it, Jim, and that we'll see you again.

Ps. If anyone does see a kingfisher fly along that channel between the causeway and the main Moors pool please post on here.

Peter

Today's sightings: Pintail still at the Moors Pool and Little Egret, plus Little Egret at the Flashes (Edward Betteridge via WorcesterBirding).

Today's sightings: Pintail still at the Moors Pool and Little Egret, plus Little Egret at the Flashes (Edward Betteridge via WorcesterBirding).

Actually, Phil, we saw double: 2 pintails and 2 little egrets at the Moors, 30+ teal mostly male, about 10 snipe on the newly-cut promontory until a sparrow hawk landed (as photographed by Dave), greylags then took over that spot; also a curlew, a flock of lapwings, kingfisher, and very audible Cettis by Soggy Bottom and the East hide. Sorry about the vague numbers but we were having lunch.

Peter

Great pics, Bob.

I couldn't stop myself taking the register: Paul M (gaffer), Bob O, Bob P, Bob R, Charles, Dave, Janet, Janette, Keith, Ray, Terry, Tony and a newcomer, Jim. We hope you enjoyed it, Jim, and that we'll see you again.

Ps. If anyone does see a kingfisher fly along that channel between the causeway and the main Moors pool please post on here.

Peter

Also the hides on the west side were swept out and cleaned and all the feeders filled to the brim

Today's Tally 55 species: more or less as it happened Mute Swan, Mallard, Coot, BH Gulls, Cormorant, Goldfinch, Robin, Rook, Jackdaw 300+, Carrion Crow, GC Grebe, Blue Tit, Goldcrest 2, Bullfinch 2m, Chaffinch 1, Blackbird 20+migrants, Redwing 5, Pied Wagtail, Snipe 19 flashes, 8+ moors, Moorhen, Teal 70 flashes, 50 moors, Grey Wagtail 3, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Lapwing 76, Stock Dove, Meadow Pipit 5, Cettis Warbler 5 heard, Raven, Shoveller 53, Buzzard, Reed Bunting 5, Song Thrush 1, Pintail 5, Little Egret 2, Great tit, Greylag Goose 28, Canada Goose 190, Water Rail 6, Kingfisher 2, Little Grebe 8, Dunnock, Grey Heron, Mistle Thrush 3, Greenfinch 20+, Curlew 14, Collard Dove, Jay, Sparrowhawk, Green Woodpecker: 150 plus larger gulls mostly LBB and Herring, one adult Yellow Legged Gull, 3 adult or near adult Common Gull, dark LGB potentially Scandinavian intermedius: Starlings 350 murmuration circled reed beds at dusk on moors no sign of Bittern. (For the avoidance of doubt, this is what I saw not what I found.) JS (Come back soon Des.)

Some good sightings there John; the best autumn for many a year for Pintail. I wonder if the various sightings of Yellow-legged Gull over the last few weeks relate to the same individual?

PS What did a week on Scilly yield?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back