• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Think you've had a good seawatch? Hah! (1 Viewer)

Cuckoo-shrike

Check out this report by Phil Pickering from Boiler Bay on the coast of Oregon, USA, yesterday....and DROOL.

7:00-3:30 (11/21):
partly clear with frequent fast moving squalls
becoming mostly clear by mid-afternoon, wind
W 15-25 gusting to 40 with squalls, swells 10+
everything moving south

3000+ Red-throated Loon
80000+ Pacific Loon (flight more notable for persistence
than density, generally 100-300/min for most of
duration with brief pulses to 1000/min)
1000+ Common Loon
30 Horned Grebe (S)
150 Red-necked Grebe (S)
50 Western Grebe
1 BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS (adequate look S 1.5 mile)
15000+ Northern Fulmar (visible movement during
entire duration, mostly 20-40/min. increasing to
100/min around squalls, 98% dark-end)
2 MOTTLED PETREL (obvious singles S both between
1/2-3/4 mile in direct sun, dorsal/ventral patterns,
compact size, energetic flight all well seen)
8 Buller's Shearwater
9 Pink-footed Shearwater
100+ Short-tailed Shearwater (assume low)
20000+ Sooty Shearwater (increasing afternoon, at times
funneling to 150/min)
350 Leach's Storm-Petrel (scattered singles with frequency
gradually increasing during afternoon)
500 Brown Pelican
30 Double-crested Cormorant
200 Brandt's Cormorant (S)
500 Pelagic Cormorant (S)
1600 Brant
15 Mallard
6 Northern Pintail
50 Green-winged Teal
2 scaup sp.
2 Harlequin Duck
100 Black Scoter
150 White-winged Scoter
800 Surf Scoter
1 Bufflehead
100 Red-breasted Merganser
1 Peregrine Falcon
600 Red Phalarope (relatively low density with
widely scattered flocks mostly of <10 birds)
2 Parasitic Jaeger
243 Pomarine Jaeger (majority moving in pairs,
groups to 7)
3 SOUTH POLAR SKUA (singles S all 1/2-1 mile)
500 Bonaparte's Gull
150 Mew Gull
6000 California Gull
1000 Herring Gull
20+ Thayer's Gull (assume low but hard to find
while sampling)
1000 Western Gull
800 Glaucous-winged Gull
500 Heermann's Gull
8000+ larus sp.
1000 Black-legged Kittiwake (about 75% juv. inc
numerous segretated flocks)
8000+ Common Murre
150 Pigeon Guillemot
80 Marbled Murrelet
900 Ancient Murrelet (steady groups to 18)
10 Cassin's Auklet
1 PARAKEET AUKLET (S 150 yards within the breakers,
good look at shape, intermediate size, white to chin)
300 Rhinoceros Auklet

Thats a very good day, even for Boiler Bay. Mottled Petrel and Parakeet Auklet are outstanding. I was only there for one day last November and it was an average day, but still the amount of stuff going past was literally unbelievable, squadrons of Loons & Shearwaters were streaming past every minute. Its odd because the watchpoint doesn't even stick out very much.

Its about 5 mile S of Lincoln City, Oregon if you fancy it.

Has there ever been a better seawatch for number and range of species?

BTW, I did a 40 minute seawatch from Peel (IOM) the previous afternoon and saw 2 Northern Fulmars!

80,000 Pacific Loon... Jaw dropping. That would be a story for the table let alone all the other stuff.

You'd have to do time counts on different species and estimate.... hoping that an albatrosss didn't interrupt you!

On occasion, when the right combination of circumstances (wind, weather, tide, blocking weather system), the numbers of birds in places along this coast can be immense. Bowerman's Basin in the north of Grays Harbor WA (it lies between a small airfield and the north shore; Google it) is about the last place that a high spring tide reaches, Grays Harbor comprising vast mud flats. Shorebirds pressed up by the tide against the head of the basin can number in the millions, one of the most spectacular events I've ever witnessed (1992, I seem to remember). Spring birding along this coast and up into the Cascades can be very rewarding.
MJB:t:

On occasion, when the right combination of circumstances (wind, weather, tide, blocking weather system), the numbers of birds in places along this coast can be immense. Bowerman's Basin in the north of Grays Harbor WA (it lies between a small airfield and the north shore; Google it) is about the last place that a high spring tide reaches, Grays Harbor comprising vast mud flats. Shorebirds pressed up by the tide against the head of the basin can number in the millions, one of the most spectacular events I've ever witnessed (1992, I seem to remember). Spring birding along this coast and up into the Cascades can be very rewarding.
MJB:t:

Talking of which, another figure which I can't get out of my head is 94,600. That was the count of Wilson's Phalaropes at Lake Abert, also in Oregon, back in August this year. This kind of stuff is one of my few compensations for having family so far away out there!

awesome. it's a good time on land (also) for big migrations south (to where I live). do you have any other observations?

Um, that is a heck of a lot of birds. Definite stuff of dreams and should win the award for the most drool provoking day of birding in 2012! Would be a bit of a stimulus overload but sounds like Boiler Bay, Oregon is the place to be for November birding. I mean, holy cosmic "jodedor de la mente"!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back