• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More from reserves (1 Viewer)

The sniper

Hi there
Have had a couple of recent experiences with Roads into some of our top nature reserves,mainly the state of the entry roads,should such organisations like the RSPB Or Various county Wildlife trusts etc spend more money on maintaining their entry roads.One recent site I visited,I spent 10 minutes on the entry road,dodging pothole after pothole.
I understand that reserves probably don't want,nor can afford tarmaced roads but surely some of the state of our reserves entry roads are putting people off attending such places,why damage your vehicle for a days birding when you don't have to,some are quite frankly dangerous,does anyone else share this experience???

Entrance tracks are rough, drive slower and don't damage them further.

Some years ago Elmley's traditional nightmare was upgraded and birders promptly started treating it as a rally track. Not a great idea.

If you drive slow enough you won't hurt the track or your car.

John

While i sort of agree,another part of me don't.I don't see why big potholes should be the norm?
Yesterday I visited a site that for many parts the road was flooded,how are you supposed to avoid potholes if you can't see them because they are covered up by water.
Plus,on the way out of this site I was nearly run off the road by a 4 x 4 driver doing around 50mph,if you have an idiot with a car,they don't care what the road is like

While i sort of agree,another part of me don't.I don't see why big potholes should be the norm?
Yesterday I visited a site that for many parts the road was flooded,how are you supposed to avoid potholes if you can't see them because they are covered up by water.
Plus,on the way out of this site I was nearly run off the road by a 4 x 4 driver doing around 50mph,if you have an idiot with a car,they don't care what the road is like

Fundamentally I agree with every point here, but I still say that if you go slowly potholes won't hurt you.

The only solution to 4X4s is RPGs.

John

Lol
I just fail to see how potholes can do anything other than damage a vehicle,I go slow on reserves,usually crawling just because a) it's the done thing and b) I don't want to miss any birds but some potholes are dangerous even at minimal speed

Lol
I just fail to see how potholes can do anything other than damage a vehicle,I go slow on reserves,usually crawling just because a) it's the done thing and b) I don't want to miss any birds but some potholes are dangerous even at minimal speed

Very cheap speedbumps. Of course, yes really dangerous ones need attention.

Maybe they should introduce them into town centres (or even motorways) - that would sort speeding issues out!

Maybe they should introduce them into town centres (or even motorways) - that would sort speeding issues out!
You are not the first to suggest that.
"It takes a lot of time and resources to chase the county council to maintain the roads around the village," said Navestock parish councillor Richard Folkson.

"Potholes are natural traffic calming. If you fill them in, it just allows people to drive faster down these roads. If they're not filled, they have to slow down."

Navestock,know it well,only a few miles from me,don't remember too many potholes round there but then again they all drive like nutters in their 4x4s

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back