• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10 favourite things about... (1 Viewer)

RockyRacoon

Birds? OK we all like them here (I think), but what is your fav thing about them, here is a quick list I thought of, in order-ish.

10. Nests and Eggs, birds build the most interesting nests and eggs are interesting too, like Red-Backed Shrikes, they lay different coloured eggs so they can tell each egg apart 

9. They like to live is the ‘good’ places, the interesting places, such as rainforests, wetlands, mountains, tundra and away from people. And when rare birds, such as Black Redstarts, Gulls and Spotless Starlings, live in human habitat it is interesting because they are so adaptable.

8. Birds with abnormal pigmentation, interesting how some birds have more or less pigment and turn out funny colours, it was thrilling to see a melanistic Black-headed Gull once.

7. Singing, isn’t it great to just sit and listen to a bird sing once in a while? Or call or whatever.

6. Flocks and Roosts, they are great fun sifting through, and when you see large numbers of a particular species of bird, or mixed species, roosting or flocking together

5. Unpredictable, but predictable, you often know where a certain species of bird is likely to be, but you are just as often surprised, perhaps by an unusual species turning up, or a bird doing something different.

4. Each having its own completely different way of surviving, changing plumage, defence tactics, offence tactics, in individual species, Plovers, feigning injury to protect their nests and Bowerbirds building huge structures to show off to a female.

3. Migration, isn’t it weird how a tiny Willow warbler or a flimsy looking Arctic Tern can travel so far, in such little period of time.

2. Taxonomy, it is one of my main interests in birds, all kinds of strange and interesting facts pop up with it, it is great finding a different subspecies out of normal range. A funny fact I learned is that coburni Redwings have slightly longer wings than the other birds of the nominate iliacus race, because they have to migrate further, without rest, over to Iceland to breed.

And…
1. Curious, Inquisitive, Intelligent, but often clumsy behaviour! Watching a Song Thrush feed for two hours you get good views of it tilting its head so its eyes face the ground, so it can check for earthworms. A woodland flock of birds travelling together, keeping an eye out for a predator, and raising the alarm for each other. Crows and Rooks going to great lengths to find food, sticking their beaks into holes in buildings, crisp packets and through windows to pull out a nutritious sandwich, invertebrate or crisps.
I have great memories of a Herring Gull catching a crab and placing it on the riverbank, having a look around and then catching it again just before it managed to run back into the river. The Gull then picked up the crab and flew around with it, with the crabs legs and claws wiggling around. The Gull then dropped it into the river. Silly Gull.
Blue tits checking every part of every twig for food, Starlings swirling around in flocks numbering thousands, geese and swans flying in V-formation, the list goes on. Aren’t birds Brilliant?

PS. I have to say that I reckon the fact that rare birds are often shy is also a good factor, because if a birdwatcher noisily approaches a hide or the point you are viewing from the bird flies away so they don’t get to see it!

Oooh, hard taskmaster you are by asking for ten, should be easy so I'll give it a whirl...

1 - Variety.
2 - Never stop learning about them.
3 - Feather detail is superb.
4 - Can be controversial or taxing for ID.
5 - Make grown folk drop everything and rush out to see them.
6 - They please all creeds, colours and ages. Non-discriminating.
7 - They bring you into contact with other people. (With mixed results though ;) )
8 - Excellent for photography
9 - They get me outdoors
10 - They produced BF (with Steve's help!)

Quite a bit of overlap with your list, Jake.

Not necessarily in order:

(1) a respite from the humdrum, the sterile and the artificial

(2) in Britain, the constant comings and goings of migrants. A dynamic living link to a huge part of the world - Africa, the Arctic...

(3) beautiful songs and evocative calls

(4) like us, they live in a world of light and colour, while most of our fellow mammals are colour-blind sniffers

(5) often close at hand - good to be surrounded by them in everyday life

(6) a link to a lot of cultural history, such as literature and folklore. Fantastic to hear a Cuckoo and remember our ancestors have been enjoying it as a harbinger of summer since the early middle ages at least

(6) gets me out to a lot of interesting and beautiful places

(7) a living lesson in ecology and, with a tiny bit of imagination, evolutionary biology

(8) birding provides a chance to exercise those old hunter-gatherer instincts in a benign way

(9) the ever-present possibility of the surprising and the novel

(10) umm...will 9 do?

best wishes
James

Ten's too many to think of yet while ploughing through 4 pages of threads - but . . .

Jake Apps said:
And…
1. Curious, Inquisitive, Intelligent, but often clumsy behaviour! Watching a Song Thrush feed for two hours you get good views of it tilting its head so its eyes face the ground, so it can check for earthworms. A woodland flock of birds travelling together, keeping an eye out for a predator, and raising the alarm for each other. Crows and Rooks going to great lengths to find food, sticking their beaks into holes in buildings, crisp packets and through windows to pull out a nutritious sandwich, invertebrate or crisps.

The amazing contortions the Wood Pigeons in my garden are getting up to for ivy berries. Hanging up-side down, clinging on with one foot, one wing hooked over another branch to hold on, and str-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g down to get that berry!

The first singing Willow Warbler
The first screaming Swift
The sudden realisation that the bird I have in my bins is a new one
The consequent realisation that its April and I haven't seen a Yellowhammer yet
Hunting Spotted Flycatchers
Cascading Skylarks
Mist coming in off the sea at dawn
Make mine a double

Andrew said:
Oooh, hard taskmaster you are by asking for ten, should be easy so I'll give it a whirl...

1 - Variety.
2 - Never stop learning about them.
3 - Feather detail is superb.
4 - Can be controversial or taxing for ID.
5 - Make grown folk drop everything and rush out to see them.
6 - They please all creeds, colours and ages. Non-discriminating.
7 - They bring you into contact with other people. (With mixed results though ;) )
8 - Excellent for photography
9 - They get me outdoors
10 - They produced BF (with Steve's help!)

3 - Feather detail is superb.- I wish everyone could look through binoculars or a spotting scope and see how beautiful birds really are. How alive they are. We just don't look any more.

Just a comment

Mike

Well, let's see if I can think of only 10 things

1. the feathers
2. the colors!
3. the variety
4. the intelligence
5. the fact they came from dinosaurs
6. the beaks
7. the sweet eyes
8. they can fly and in the natural state never crash
9. the songs and calls they make
10. the fact I can always count on seeing one when I walk outside

In no particular order.

Years ago, I used to lie in bed on Sunday mornings until just before the pubs opened - until I started birdwatching!

So, completely changing my way of life would be a good thing to put at the top of my list (wasting lots of money on expensive equipment in a vain atempt to get good photos of the birds I've seen would be at the bottom of the list!)

Making new friends and going on trips to places I'd never consider otherwise.

Always being surprised by something new, whether unusual behaviour or sighting of a species I hadn't expected to turn up

Getting a new species for the garden

The first migrant of the spring

Finding something unusual on my local patch

Swifts around the houses on a summer evening

Then, basically, lots of the points made by others, above, taking me over ten!

Some more for me . . .

2. The absolutely incredible spatial memory of Nutcrackers. That they can hide 100,000 nuts in 10,000 different places, and find all of them again, six month later, and still find the ones buried under a metre of snow.

3. That there's a Manx Shearwater, ringed as an adult long before I was born. It's still alive and breeding every year.

4. An Arctic Tern chick which was ringed on the Farne Islands (Northumberland, UK). Less than 3 months after its first flight, it was 22,000km away in Melbourne (Victoria, Australia).

5. That Cuckoo chicks know that they have to migrate to Africa, even though their foster-parents never told them anything about it. And that they know when to go, and when to come back, and that they know they have to mate with other Cuckoos (even though they may never have seen another Cuckoo in their life).

6. That a Guillemot can recognise the calls of its own chick, distinct from the hundred thousand other Guillemot chicks in the colony.

7. That Greenland Whitefront Geese don't just raise their own young, but also help raise their grandchildren.

An Extension to pont 4 of Jake's list.

The power needed by crows at the side of a motorway to prevent being blown into the traffic even when a speeding articulated truck only ruffles their feathers.

Steve

the different beers in the countries i've visited

Cusquena in Peru
Sol in Mexico
Belikin in Belize
Anker and Bintang in Indonesia
Singha in Thailand
Lion in Sri Lanka

etc, etc all marvellous

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back