• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nasty Black Bird Deposits In Bath? (1 Viewer)

Pardon my utter newb-ism, but I am a new homeowner that has just set up a standard seed feeder and bird bath.

I live in Ohio and have only gotten black birds and sparrows to my feeder and bath. I've *seen* one cardinal on the power lines above and my neighbor had a blue jay today... but on to my question:

I get, 90% of the time, black birds. They drink from my bath, but also deposit white nasty stuff from their mouths in the bath. I don't think it is bird feces because it's more solid, plus they hold and release it from their mouth.

I couldn't find any returns via Google so I came here... what are these nasty birds doing to my bath? The moment I clean and refill the bath, they deposit more nasty white stuff.

If the answer isn't a complete no-brainer, I can post pics *yuck*.

Please advise.

Thanks.
-Nick.

Not sure what the answer is, but could it be undigested and probably undigestable insect parts (wing cases etc) - like a pellet?

I've seen a video clip of Spotted Flycatchers ejecting a pellet recently, something i really didn't realise they did, but which now seems obvious that they must have to!

Not sure why they'd be white in your case though.

Just a thought.

EDIT: or it could be faecal sacs - see this thread with a very similar query:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=86682

I did think of this when reading your question the first time, but you seemed sure it wasn't faeces, however, looking at the other thread, it seems that some Blackbird species leave the faecal sacs of their young near water...

Last edited:
It has been very rainy here in Central Nebraska, and I just saw a Common Grackle (closely related to blackbirds) drop a fecal sac near a puddle. I wouldn't be surprised if it was fecal sacs. Please post your photos, even if it is yucky, it would be helpful! :-D

EDIT: What species of blackbird are at your feeders?

Yeah, I'm guessing fecal sacs. Thanks for the paste of the other thread! :)

Dunno what kind of blackbird specifically... just a common Ohio bird. Looks exactly like a small crow. Don't think it has the bluish head... does have a yellow/orange beak, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back