• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Career related to birds? (1 Viewer)

jurek

Which career paths are related to birds?

We discussed recently whether birder should pursue career related to birds. It seems that all bird-related jobs are poorly paid, with the possible exception of a falconer of an Arabian sheik ;). Or maybe there are better paid paths on the interface with birds, when one knows also another skill, like programing or law?

Which career paths are related to birds?

We discussed recently whether birder should pursue career related to birds. It seems that all bird-related jobs are poorly paid, with the possible exception of a falconer of an Arabian sheik ;). Or maybe there are better paid paths on the interface with birds, when one knows also another skill, like programing or law?

Programming will give you a lot more opportunities to go birding than law because much of the work is project based. Best thing though is probably to become a bond trader. Then, as long as you don't develop too much of a taste for the high life you can probably retire at 40 and go birding the whole time.

Jurke , if money comes comes your thoughts then a career in conservation is probably not for you. Even if you do manage to get a position ( out of 17 of my fellow ecology degree students only two of us managed to get a job in conservation ) not only is the money pretty poor , but also expect to do a lot of overtime without any extra pay. I would guess i do 12-18 hours extra time a week without overtime money , rarely take more than the odd days holiday frequently out before first light and can still be working well after dark.

You work in conservation because you care for wildlife , not for money. But on the plus side the quality of life is second to none and I cant think I would ever do anything else.

Last edited:
I actually did some volunteering for conservation NGOs. But there are careers related to birds outside conservation and science, I guess?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back