• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attracting different birds in alberta canada yard (1 Viewer)

johannaG

Hello, i am a new bird watcher and have a fantastic birdfeeder. I get daily visits from finches, nuthatches, sparrows and chickadees.
I would like to get another birdfeeder for birds like bluejays and woodpeckers and other slightly larger birds. Are there any recommedations on type of feeder and seed. I suspect i will need to place it away from my other feeder.
Hope you can help
Jose (johanna)

If there are Blue Jays around, they will often visit a sunflower seed feeder if it is large enough for them to land on (sometimes they can become a problem by chasing off other birds, though raiding nests would be the bigger issue). If your current feeder is smallish, you could add a platform which would allow larger birds to feed (do you have Cardinals?). Blue Jays are also partial to peanuts in the shell, which could be placed on such a platform or someplace like a porch railing or outdoor table.

Woodpeckers enjoy suet, either in a traditional cage-type feeder or in a hanging log. Starlings can sometimes become a problem if the feeder does not require clinging.

Orioles and hummingbirds come to nectar feeders; special oriole feeders are larger and orange instead of red and often have places to put jelly and fruit, but orioles are also known to visit hummingbird feeders.

Some sparrow species prefer white millet to sunflower and prefer feeders that are low to the ground, but if your local sparrows use your feeder (or the mess on the ground beneath it) this might not add any species.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back