• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

please help me (1 Viewer)

cassie321

I just joined this forum 2 days ago to ask about a hummer I had with a deformed bill. Well this morning I went outside to find him on the feeder not moving. I took a picture of him and he still didn't move so I cupped him n my hand put him on a towel n my birdcage I had and brought him indoors to warm up. I mixed sugar water he drank 2 drops but now he won't eat and has his eyes closed. Can anyone please tell me what do they eat ask know they eat bugs. Should I get him some crickets to see if he will eat them? He is acting lathargic and off balance. Please help me

My husband is military we have 1 car so I'm at home alone until 3 this afternoon when he gets home. We will bring the hummer to the closest rehabber after he gets here to see if she can help but I'm not sure what to do until then. I love animals and dont want him to suffer. I saw another hummer peck him in the head on the ground before I intervened and brought him inside :( all I know to do is keep him warm and try to feed him nectar every 30 minutes until my hubby gets home. Is there anything else I could be doing until then? Thank y'all

I am proud to update: My Hummer Has Been Rehabilitated!! :) Apparently he was lacking in protein. I mixed egg yolk with his sugar water, put the syringe over his lower beak with his tongue and he drank some. Within 2 minutes I heard buzzing from the other room and it was him flying in the cage!! I fed him more egg yolk sugar water, he drank it happily, once he was through I brought the cage outside and he flew away!!! It was Food For The Soul! Thank you KC & Stanley for replying to me when I needed help! :) I truly appreciate it and hope someone else that may go through something similar can help their lil hummer through my experience today.

Ive named him BB :) broke beak ;) and I would like to share the recipe if anyone ever needs help with a hummer they find in distress. Hummers need protein and can only survive on sugar water for 72 hours or less. If they are unable to eat bugs this recipe will provide protein but it will spoil rapidly so be prepared to change it several times a day as it is raw egg★ dissolve ¼ cup sugar in 1 cup water add 1- large egg yolk and shake well in a mason jar. Store in fridge! Only pour ¼ cup at a time into feeder as it will have to be changed every few hours or feed with syringe if the bird is unable to fly. I hope this helps your lil hummer as much as it helped my little BB today :)

Ive named him BB :) broke beak ;) and I would like to share the recipe if anyone ever needs help with a hummer they find in distress. Hummers need protein and can only survive on sugar water for 72 hours or less. If they are unable to eat bugs this recipe will provide protein but it will spoil rapidly so be prepared to change it several times a day as it is raw egg★ dissolve ¼ cup sugar in 1 cup water add 1- large egg yolk and shake well in a mason jar. Store in fridge! Only pour ¼ cup at a time into feeder as it will have to be changed every few hours or feed with syringe if the bird is unable to fly. I hope this helps your lil hummer as much as it helped my little BB today :)

Interesting. Here's a couple articles related to the biomechanics of Hummingbirds feeding.
The first on their ability as flycatchers with...>>fast-closing beaks<< and second on >>Hummingbird tongues<<

Any deformity or injury could easily inhibit the ability to feed in their specialized way. Audubon and/or Ebird might be interested in you sharing an image and experience. Other areas in North America has occasionally seen bill deformities. Noteworthy are some chickadees & few other species up in the northwest and Alaska.

Bird Bill please view my gallery of photos ive uploaded images of his broken beak. I only have my cell phone to take and upload pictures and haven't figured out how to upload an image here. I go to manage attachments click upload image and nothing happens. You can see how the top part of his beach is broken almost halfway down and bends over to one side making it hard for him to catch insects. I will check out the web pages to see if I could offer some help to anyone in a similar situation. :)

Hi Cassie

The usual reason for pictures failing to upload is the file size.

I'm not great at this but hopefully this'll help.

After you've done any other work on your pic (always a copy mind ) and cropped away any part of the picture you don't want, you can then re-size it. But don't crop to get the file size you want.

How you actually do it depends on what programs you have.

In Windows 7 you can right click on the image and there's an option to re-size (choose the smallest 800x600 - you can go bigger 1032 on the longest side I think, but Windows doesn't give you that option!). Adobe Photoshop: you have a better choice there, in the Image menu: Resize, you can actually choose the size you want, and the quality... always select medium.

Alternatively you could download the free program called Picassa.

I hope one of these ideas work for you. If not, try posting in the Computer subforum - I'm sure someone will have more suggestions for you. There's loads of methods depending what software you have.

D

I'm able to upload images to my gallery by clicking on the camera icon but can't get it to work from the manage attachments button. I only have internet through my cell phone so that is how I have to upload the pictures I take. I'm not technologically advanced so I have no clue about cropping chopping or shopping pictures ;)

Bird Bill please view my gallery of photos ive uploaded images of his broken beak. I only have my cell phone to take and upload pictures and haven't figured out how to upload an image here. I go to manage attachments click upload image and nothing happens. You can see how the top part of his beach is broken almost halfway down and bends over to one side making it hard for him to catch insects. I will check out the web pages to see if I could offer some help to anyone in a similar situation. :)

Had a look Cassie, thank you. Gut feeling is a recent injury versus a deformity from birth. Noticed the rain in your image and it seems that could be contributing factor also. On a phone, you could give the local Audubon chapter an old fashioned voiced based ring up.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back