• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kowa tsn824...best eyepieces? (1 Viewer)

swamp_rattler

hello...I just bought the Kowa TSN824 scope with 20-60x zoom lens off of ebay. I've heard that this zoom is excellent and a must have. What other eypieces are highly recommended? I'm thinking about the 32x WA.
Thanks

Congratulations on the purchase of a very good scope :t:

I used to own the 823 and wish I still did. I had the 20-60x zoom and the 32xWA. Both are high quality eyepieces. To be honest though, the quality of the 20-60x was so good that I used that most of the time, even for taking digiscoped photos. My one gripe would be that it's a bit narrower than the 32xWA which has a good field of view especially in dull conditions.

Kowa now produce several shorter length zooms more aimed at digiscoping so they may be more useful if you want to go down that track. I never used them myself though as I'd sold my scope before they were launched.

With the zoom being so good and a zoom being so much more versatile for viewing with and for framing photos, I'd be inclined to stick with using that. For photos the 20-30x range is the most useful for sharp clear photos. Going much below 20x means getting closer to a bird to fill the frame, so these new eyepeices may be more suitable for videoscoping where the cameras have longer optical zooms.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back