• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where are the Turtle Doves? (1 Viewer)

robinm said:
I've seen a few at the "usual" places here in Kent, but my impression is that the numbers are down this year.
I'd have to agree Robin, my usual hotspot is strangely quiet, they're there but not in the same numbers as last year.

Woody

To quote Simon Barnes from The Sunday Times:

'I WAS BACK in Suffolk for about ten minutes: and had one of those strangely privileged moments in which a bird flies at exactly the same speed as the car for a sustained period of time. It is as if you were flying in formation, flying with the bird rather than observing flight.

It was a turtle dove: always a cheering bird to see or hear. Declining, yes, but not gone. They have declined 70 per cent over 25 years but here’s some good news.

Malta joined the European Union in 2004, but thought that it was perfectly all right to continue shooting 100,000 turtle doves every year, exhausted birds that rest up on Malta during their long migrations. This, shockingly, was perfectly legal under Maltese law but not under European law. Now, if the shooting takes place in Malta as early as next spring, the country will be taken to the European Court of Justice. And that should mean that the gentle turrr-turring of the doves will be heard more often in this country. It is the great honey-still-for-tea sound of the English summer.'

Saw my first one locally this year, after being told about it by the local postie.
Lovely sound. Took this poor record pic!

Attachments

• turtle dove.jpg
    turtle dove.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 119
firstreesjohn said:
So far this year, I've only seen two. This is mainly birding in coastal North Norfolk. How about people in places where they were, and hopefully are, frequent?
HI JOHN , TWO pairs and one single bird on our estate this year , last year we had four pairs , regards DEREKJAKE

I've had a bumper year for them in Essex at a number of sites. However, on the other hand, they have disappeared entirely from one of my old stomping grounds, Blacktoft sands up in Yorkshire, where they used to be regulars.

There are still some here in deep-south-Lincolnshire, with one or two in or around my south-facing rear garden. A near neighbour has more success, with more birds feeding in his garden than I do. Another Birdforum member (he lives just round the corner from me) has complained about being woken by some purring early in the morning last year. Here is a picture taken in June this year in my rear garden.

Roger

Attachments

• IMG_0027a.jpg
    IMG_0027a.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 97
Stephen C said:
I see them here (Garraf, just south of barcelona) every few days but my impression is that their numbers have dropped over he last few years.

Spent family holidays in Menorca both this and last year. Last year they were fairly common throughout the island with three pairs seen daily near the hotel (Son Bou). This year I only saw 5 or 6 over the two week period with none around the hotel. Perhaps it's not just the UK which is suffering.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Certainly on the edge here, though.

Same here, only 1-2 regular sites.

Amazingly some birdwatchers "brick ticked" one at a site where a pr were lingering....
Steve

Attachments

• Singing Turtle Co.Durham.jpg
    Singing Turtle Co.Durham.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Saw my first one yesterday!
I heard it purring in a tree the day before, but I had a deal going with Mrs Boris that she'd be the first to see it. So I ran back to get her and the camera bag, but it'd gone when we got back.
Next morning, loud purring and there it was, on a dead stick on the top of the tallest bush in the row. Got some really good views (for the distance) that evening and we're both pretty happy to have finally seen and heard one.
Also 30-odd lapwings on the other side of the river, which came into the castle each night at about 9.00 pm, some flying only ten feet away from us.
Woo hoo!

There used to be a turtle dove in the trees on the track to one of the hides - First Hide? - at Blacktoft Sands. It was to be heard regularly but not often seen. Wasn't there yesterday and I forgot to ask the warden about it.

Sandra

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back