• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon RAW files (1 Viewer)

BJL

Is Nikon Capture 4.4 the best software for working with RAW files taken with Nikon equipment? Or is there a better or cheaper programme available?

I've tried DCRaw and UFRaw (free) and the RAW conversion utility in PSP 9 (not free).

Nikon Capture is better than both, but they both work.

The thing is, Nikon have been a wee bit unhelpful to us by encrypting some of their NEF data so that only NC can read it - logically then, NC will make the best job of processing NEFs. In addition, certain "bells and whistles" like the "Color Moire" reduction function are only found in NC (though I understand that other applications have developed alternatives).

A lot of users on Nikonians seem to be very happy with Adobe software + Adobe Camera Raw (ACR).

The reality is, "best" depends on what you're aiming for: if all you want to do is get your NEFs off the camera and convert them (doing all the proper post processing in Photoshop, PSP or whatever) then UFRaw - either stand-alone or as a plug-in for The Gimp - is fine, as is the RAW convertor in PSP 9.

I actually quite like Nikon Capture, even though it's slow on my machine, and it allows me to do what I need to do with the minimum of fuss (because it can read the encrypted White Balance information and whatnot - I don't have to muck about with a "best guess" from other software): but I'd manage without it - and The Gimp + UFRaw costs precisely nowt except the download.

Last edited:
Keith Reeder said:
I've tried DCRaw and UFRaw (free) and the RAW conversion utility in PSP 9 (not free).

Nikon Capture is better than both, but they both work.

The thing is, Nikon have been a wee bit unhelpful to us by encrypting some of their NEF data so that only NC can read it - logically then, NC will make the best job of processing NEFs. In addition, certain "bells and whistles" like the "Color Moire" reduction function are only found in NC (though I understand that other applications have developed alternatives).

A lot of users on Nikonians seem to be very happy with Adobe software + Adobe Camera Raw (ACR).

The reality is, "best" depends on what you're aiming for: if all you want to do is get your NEFs off the camera and convert them (doing all the proper post processing in Photoshop, PSP or whatever) then UFRaw - either stand-alone or as a plug-in for The Gimp - is fine, as is the RAW convertor in PSP 9.

I actually quite like Nikon Capture, even though it's slow on my machine, and it allows me to do what I need to do with the minimum of fuss (because it can read the encrypted White Balance information and whatnot - I don't have to muck about with a "best guess" from other software): but I'd manage without it - and The Gimp + UFRaw costs precisely nowt except the download.

Thanks Keith. As I worrk with Nikon equipment, I think I will look further into Nikon Capture 4.4.

BJL said:
Thanks Keith. As I worrk with Nikon equipment, I think I will look further into Nikon Capture 4.4.

One thing to bear in mind is that Nikon Capture is very memory hungry as an application so you might need a pretty beefy PC to run it.

I would recommend using Pixmantec's Rawshooter, the essentials edition is free as mentioned above. Rawshooter Premium is very good too but you have to pay about £60 for that.

Alternatively, if you have Photoshop, upgrade to CS2 and then you get the Adobe Camera Raw for free.

Cheers

Alex

Good points, Alex - and I admit that if I wasn't still using a Win ME machine I'd have explored more of the alternatives.

That said, as long as I'm sensible with Nikon Capture (rebooting the machine before firing it and Nikon View up) it's not too bad, resource-wise, as long as I'm not in a hurry - it runs sedately but well enough on 512kb of RAM.

I have got Capture at home but haven't got round to installing it yet. Rawshooter and ACR seem to work OK at the moment although Rawshooter struggles with skintones in portraits a bit. Andy Rouse, pro wildlife photog, is one of the characters behind that software and swears blind by it too.

Cheers

Alex

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back