• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2012 List Going? (2 Viewers)

Jeff, that Rio Grande Trip certainly gave your Texas List a "shot in the arm".
Good going!

It's just a great area for birding, Larry, even if it's really hot, humid and buggy this time of year.
I got about the number of year birds that I expected but more lifers than I'd even hoped for. The Becard was a particular thrill to see!
Jeff

a few from the past week or so:

In Cornwall:

183. Tawny Owl
184. Balearic Shearwater

Twitching the Little Swift on the Wirral yesterday:

185. Little Swift (UK Lifer)
186. Common Tern
187. Arctic Skua

Sunday, June 24

Got to go on a good run on Sunday, first long one for a week or so.

66. Chimney Swift
67. Willow Flycatcher

Peter C.

Today I saw my latest new bird for the year, the first in almost two weeks. It was a West Virginia lifer (number 173) as well.

211. Clay-colored Sparrow

Dave

I added two Missouri 2012 Year Birds yesterday while birding Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri.

242. Solitary Sandpiper
243. Snowy Egret

Just had an Osprey fly over my house in Shropshire. A rare passage migrant here, but it is my second one for the house list!

188. Osprey

I've come to a grinding halt, partly because I haven't been out much. (It's been hot, humid and/or rainy here for weeks.)

I may get a few hours of birding in this weekend but doubt if I'll add to my Texas list before fall migration starts.

And still a couple of weeks to go till a trip to Utah will give me a chance of adding to my USA list.

Jeff

Two new year birds today, both of which are also state lifers. Although common to abundant in the Midwest, both are relatively rare in the east. Strangely, both were in an unlikely location--a grass and brush-bordered construction area near an office park. I saw both birds within about five minutes of each other.

212. Dickcissel
213. Blue Grosbeak

Dave

Two new year birds today, both of which are also state lifers. Although common to abundant in the Midwest, both are relatively rare in the east. Strangely, both were in an unlikely location--a grass and brush-bordered construction area near an office park. I saw both birds within about five minutes of each other.

212. Dickcissel
213. Blue Grosbeak

Dave

Funny how that happens, isn't it? Lark Buntings are rare here but earlier this year I saw a group of them in a children's playground near our house. Also, the first Yellow-breasted Chat I ever saw was one that came and perched on top of our backyard fence.

Jeff

I have "stalled out" at 243!

I'm stuck at 297 and haven't seen a new year bird in over 3 weeks. If it ever stops raining, I'll get out to try for Mississippi and Swallow-tailed Kites and Northern Bobwhite, all of which people are currently seeing around here. Otherwise I'll have to wait 2 weeks until we head for southwest Utah.

Jeff

This morning I was able to add one more species to my 2012 Missouri Year List. I have only seen this species one other time here in my home state. It was on July 19, 2010 at the Thompson River Wetland at Chillicothe, Missouri. * My first sighting of Wood Stork was at Corkscrew Swamp in Florida on March 6, 1997.

244. Wood Stork, Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Sumner, Missouri.(Three immature birds.)

Moved to 249 with Red Backed Shrike at Hayes yesterday before work.
set a target of 250 this year so closing in on it nice and early!
(last month has been hard though...Little Bittern and Sabines Gull being the highlights)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back