• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking at Celestron Regal 80 (1 Viewer)

NatureLvrCanada

Last year I purchased an Alpen 80mm straight scope. Very good value for the money. Recently I used the scope to look up at an owl. Problem was there were branches in the way and I had to position the tripod on a down slope to get a clean view. That's when I started to understand the value of a 45* angle scope :)

I am looking to get a seecond scope...this one a 45* angled one. I read here that the Celestron Regal series has very good optics. Mostly I hear about the 60mm one. Is the 80mm one optics as good as the 60mm one?

Last edited:
NLC,

Yes, the 80 is just as good optically as the 60 plus the you get more light gathering capability. I think it is safe to say that everything said about the 65 mm could be applied to the 80 mm as well. I owned/tested both scopes several years ago when they first debuted. The thread and some pics I took with both of them can be found here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=147180&highlight=celestron+regal

The thread starts off with my comments on the 65 mm but, I believe, before the end of the first page I started posting comments about the 80 mm as well. Most, if not all, of the pics in subsequent pages were taken with the 80 mm model.

Thanks Frank. The 80 came in handy because this was after sunset in an old forested area. I can barely make out the nest with my eyes but the view thru the scope was still clear.

Hello NatureLvrCanada. i have used the Regal 80mm for a few years now, having purchased FrankD`s `cherry sample`. i am overall quite happy with it. While i cannot add anything to the technical data provided by Frank, i can say that i do not use the supplied zoom (although it is good), but a 13 mm baader hyperion lens. the optics are better and i need the longer eye relief. The only downside to the scope is that it is huge and heavy. I find that i need to be quite careful when removing it from my vehicle, and quickly notice the weight, even when on a short hike. If you decide to purchase one, let us know what you think. Regards, Jake M.

The 15mm Celestron Luminos Series UWA with 82 deg AFOV and 17mm eye relief works great with my Celestron Regal 100 so it should also work great with the 65 and 80 Regal.

Attachments

• 7236110728_c238921a6a_b.jpg
    7236110728_c238921a6a_b.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
I would sincerly suggest trying the very scope you intend to buy to check for the ghosting that is present in many of the Regals. It's usually kept under control with strict eye position. It was evident in 3 of the 4 Regal 100s I tried, the 1 80mm I've tried and the 65mm I've got sat over by the window next to me. The Regals do a lot of things exceptionally well for the money but size and weight are not the only compromises they make.
I'd give another nod to the Hyperions, 13mm and 17mm here. Love them. The 17mm had to be well inserted (as you tighten the collar and it moves downward, push the eye piece further in) on the 100mm to reach infinity. The Regal's nice solid eyepiece cover isn't going fit whilst you have a Hyperion attached, but I guess that'd be the case with most decent astrological eyepieces.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back