• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

grasshopper warbler expert wanted (1 Viewer)

I shouted grasshopper till I opened it up. Now despite it looking big I think its a Lanceolated. Those tertial edgings are pretty unmistakeable. Also there are some flank and lower belly streaks. L.n.straminea can be heavily streked below - but they have even blander tertials I think. Curious to see what other people think - I didn't even check were this was taken.

Last edited:
Hi there,

From the photos, it looks like a Grasshopper warbler; the reasons are as follows:

1 edges of tertials are broader on the outer edge than the tip. Lancy would have a narrow, even pale border to these feathers
2 not streaky enough on the breast for a bird at this time of year
3 supercilium too white

Hope this helps

GV

and I guess a summer lancy would be much more lanceolate on the breast - the edges look incredibly pale and neat on the middle pic in the second row of three, which coincidentally was the one I opened up though.

Jane Turner said:
100% agreement then Sean!

Yeah, I have to say Jane it does worry me when we disagree - more so when we see the opposite to each other in the SAME photo's!!

(Watchers note our posts overlapped).

Think the terital edges do look too wide for Lanceolated, in some photos more than others. I think they would look much narrower on a Lancy.

The bird does look too streaky for gropper, but not nearly enough for Lancy.

A difficult one, and seeing the undertail coverts might have helped.

Will be interesting to see other opinions.

GV

Looking again, the tertial edges in the right hand photo, second row, can be seen clearly. They are broad at the base and narrow sharply towards the tip. Gropper. QED

GV

Yes you are right... Funny how streaky it is underneath while being clean throated though.

Any way back to stripping my carburettor!

I would say, it's NOT definitely Lanceolated Warbler !
I have seen 4-5 Lanceolated and ringed 2 individuals (and of course, I have seen also a lot of pics).
Few years ago one ringer ringed Lanceolated, which have very less streaks in the belly and undertail coverts.
It's Grasshopper Warbler, even the bird variate relatively lot.

its not a pretty sight! I am covered head to foot in oil and stuff.. my delightful 5 year old decided to see if my car would run on a water oil mix...

Jane Turner said:
its not a pretty sight! I am covered head to foot in oil and stuff.. my delightful 5 year old decided to see if my car would run on a water oil mix...

Ah, come on Jane - first you tell us you're stripping, now you say you're all dirty and covered in oil and stuff.

Think there are websites where you can satisfy these kind of tendencies.

GV

ps it's a Gropper

Seems that I'm on my way to a bottle of Highland Park!

Some of the arguments against me and the Grasshopper warbler is the pale edges on the tertials seen on all pictures except the first. And the "missing streaking" on the breast in some of the pictures maybe a result of the grass between me and the bird when photographing. The grass gives white/pale parts in all the photos.

The thing about the tertial edges being broader/narrow is new to me -I'll remember that!

I controlled Grasshopper Warbler 2 hours ago, which I ringed last year in the same place. This was my second control. Bird has streaks only behind the legs and undertail coverts (underpart). Otherwise bird has not streaks in throat, breast and belly and flanks. This individual has also pale (reminds whitish) edges on the tertials (margins of inner web).
Upper bill was totally dark and about half of lower mandible was variable dark spot.
Bird has quite weak white points in the top of primaries and you will see those also in your photos. In addition to bird has pale outer web in P2 (outermost long primary feather, Svensson) as you can see also in your photo. ...Short primary projection, P3 longest...

Hannu

Do you handle many Grasshopper Warblers? Do they vary a lot between individuals?

There was a Grasshopper Warbler in Norfolk a few years ago that was very pale and had only a few streaks. Lots of people thought it was a Savi's Warbler. Ever since then I have wondered if Grasshopper Warbler might be more variable than we think, but because they are hard to see well we might not realise how different they can look.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back