• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta 15x56 HD (1 Viewer)

What I've figured out is that guys like you, who offer optics evaluations based upon published numbers, and not personal evaluations, are laughable. Your Meopta "evaluation" qualifies.

I just returned from a major field trip, I am still totally smitten by the performance of this binocular; and, quite frankly, so were all in the group.

review of the 15x56 HD by binomania:

http://www.binomania.it/binocolo-meopta-meostar-15x56-hd/

the price for these are very competitive here (Sweden),
for example the Conquest HD 15x56 are 30% more expensive
and the SLC 15x56 are 90% more expensive,

so the Meostars seem to be good value for money,

Thank you for another very informative review.
The Meopta seems a fine glass, but is no longer bargain priced here in the US.
Amazon has it selling for $1599, exactly the same price as the Conquest,
and double or triple the Nikon Monarch 5 16x56s, offered as low as $465.

the price for these are very competitive here (Sweden),
for example the Conquest HD 15x56 are 30% more expensive
and the SLC 15x56 are 90% more expensive,

so the Meostars seem to be good value for money,

At first sight yes but when you look at the FOV of the Meopta, it's clearly one step below the other two.

For anyone who wants to treat themselves to a nice Christmas present, Cabela's (U.S.) is selling their Meopta/Euro HD's for about 30% off.

See the current review of this binocular in the current issue of GRAY'S SPORTING JOURNAL in "GRAY'S BEST." It is on the newsstands now. It has a particularly good price/performance ratio when compared with other European binoculars.

Bob

An interesting discussion on Meopta versus Zeiss. In my experience, optical stats and technical properties do not paint a true picture of the actual viewing experience. No doubt both of these bins are excellent, but you would have to set them up side-by-side and carry out a prolonged test to ascertain if one was noticeably better that the other.

One thing that annoys me about some "almost alpha" users (Pentax ED, Meopta and others) is their claim that these makes (in their high end range) equal the best for less cash.
They should keep in mind that Zeiss and Swarovski design super wide angle (65° or more), very well corrected binoculars, when the others stop at 50 or 55°, and this makes all the difference! Meopta and Pentax CANNOT produce such wide FOV at the moment, or if they did it would cost a lot more.

The viewing experience through a 69°FOV with 18mm ER is not the same as viewing 55° with 15mm ER, period.

About light transmission, the Zeiss has dielectric, abbe koenig prism and low dispersion lenses, so the Meopta does not stand a chance.

Late to the party, but for information for other late-comers... I have looked through both. The Conquest 15x56 is a full-on CA generator. You cannot compare the optical quality with the Meopta. It might have less than top ER and FOV but I would certainly prefer looking through the Meopta than the Conquest because it actually does have class leading (that means better than the excellent Swaro SLC to my eyes) sharpness, lack of CA and glare resistance. I use the 12x50 HD and it's probably my favourite optic currently.

I am very happy with the SLC 15X56 as well as the 8 and 10X56 SLCs. They are very sharp to my eyes.

I am sure they are all superb, and if I wanted the brightest and widest FOV in a 15x I would not hesitate with the SLC which consistently gets rave reviews. I also usually have a preference for the image quality of A-K prisms. I was just noting that the Meostar might have a bit less CA and be more resistant to glare in difficult lighting situations, both of which are important to me in real world use. And of course they are a lot cheaper and covered by a 30 year warranty, so there are pros and cons on each side. Either would be strongly preferred to the Conquest which I thought was nothing special.

I would love to look through the SLC 10x56 as possibly the ultimate low-light binocular (also for astronomy) but unfortunately I have never seen one.

Agree with you regarding the conquest, I liked the 8X32, not much else in the remaining formats. I use the SLC when needed during terrestrial viewing at distance some of the time when needed, and mostly at night. The SLC 15X56 with the field flattener shows stars sharp to the field stop and is the only SLC model to provide that.

Late to the party, but for information for other late-comers... I have looked through both. The Conquest 15x56 is a full-on CA generator. You cannot compare the optical quality with the Meopta. It might have less than top ER and FOV but I would certainly prefer looking through the Meopta than the Conquest because it actually does have class leading (that means better than the excellent Swaro SLC to my eyes) sharpness, lack of CA and glare resistance. I use the 12x50 HD and it's probably my favourite optic currently.
I am trying to persuade myself that the Meopta 15x56 would be a better choice over a Kite IS.

I appreciate that it is always preferable to try as we are all different, but was the Meopta you pitched against the Zeiss impressive? Any thoughts would be most appreciated and was the version you tried the latest B1 Plus. Diolch.

I am trying to persuade myself that the Meopta 15x56 would be a better choice over a Kite IS.

I appreciate that it is always preferable to try as we are all different, but was the Meopta you pitched against the Zeiss impressive? Any thoughts would be most appreciated and was the version you tried the latest B1 Plus. Diolch.

Hi Pat

It was the B1.1, which will be either the same as B1+ or not quite as good depending on who you ask. I have the B1+ in 12x50 and it's excellent.

I liked it a lot, but if you wear glasses be careful with the ER as it can be marginal with thick glasses as on the 12x50. Also, don't expect a particularly large or bright FOV or sharpness right to the edge, but the centre is lovely and sharp with a good colour balance and basically no visible CA at all which is great for a 15x.

HenRun (and some others here) have written reviews and comparisons, and panic/canip has done the same on cloudy nights.

Probably best to have a look for yourself? I don't know the Kite IS, but unless you're planning to use a tripod or a very well sorted monopod setup, I don't think the Meostar would be a good choice but that goes for any 15x.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back