• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Power/mm Ultravid HD Plus? (1 Viewer)

dwever

Sorry for yet another thread, this will be it, I remain the thrilled new guy to Leica who needs some help.

So I am the exceedingly happy owner of an 8X42 set of UV HD Plus, as well as an Ultravid 8X20 so I constantly have something in the pocket. Now, as we prepare to go overseas, we'll get a pair of UV HD Plus for each of us. We are pulling the trigger now because of the trade show Leica units still being sold on line.

Since we have the 8X42's, we have the second pared down to either the 7X42 or 10X50 (10X42's are out because we do not want to go lower than 5 on the exit pupil diameter).

On the one hand we feel the 10X50 will be an excellent companion power to the 8X42 when we need that extra pull with the almost-same exit pupil diameter as the 8X42. On the other hand, the 7X42 is so bright and crisp, so easy to use, big FOV, needs much less focusing, and in a smaller form factor and half a pound lighter.

Thanks for your help!!!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 385
  • 7X42.jpg
    7X42.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 10X50.jpg
    10X50.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
In a previous thread you mentioned buying a 7x42 for your girlfriend.
Is that a separate purchase and not related to the question in this thread?

10x50, or even the 12x50 if you can hold it steady. I bought my 10x32 specifically because my 8x42 just wasn't cutting it in the wide open spaces of Arizona. Being able to ID a bird from a quarter of a mile away requires all the power you can comfortably use. Holding my 10x32 UV's steady is much easier than my Zeiss 10x42. But the 12x UV is surprisingly easy to hold by hand, at least that's the way it seemed to me.

In a previous thread you mentioned buying a 7x42 for your girlfriend.
Is that a separate purchase and not related to the question in this thread?

Sorry, that is THE question in this thread. One for each of us, but what is the best second purchase given the first. We're leaning towards the 7X42 until I saw CloseFocus' comment.

10x50, or even the 12x50 if you can hold it steady. I bought my 10x32 specifically because my 8x42 just wasn't cutting it in the wide open spaces of Arizona. Being able to ID a bird from a quarter of a mile away requires all the power you can comfortably use.

Wow. Interesting consideration. There are some very long throws in Africa.

Last edited:
Sorry, that is THE question in this thread. One for each of us, but what is the best second purchase given the first. We're leaning towards the 7X42.

I'm a little confused ... who will own the second bino? Are you sharing both bins or is one yours and one hers?

If she is going to own it and it will be her bino to keep, then perhaps
you can bring her to a store (if possible) and have her see which would be the
best fit for her. If it's a lifetime bin and it will be hers, then it needs to suit her ... and not you.
Unless you are both sharing the two bins...is that the case?
But, if yours is the 8x42 and she gets to pick her own (and it's hers to keep), then she has to like it and be comfortable with the optics and handling.

Who is this gift for really ? ;)

DONE. Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 9.36.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 9.36.02 PM.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 288
I'd get the 8x32. Certainly not one of the big boys. The 8x32s are far more versatile, especially if you use them all day.

Hermann

10x42 i find the best for birds, the exit pupil i think is not a problem, i know some people with glasses that use a 10x42 leica without trouble

I agree. If you have the 8x42 UV then a 10x42 UV will complement it amazingly. Unless you use it for astronomy I think a 10x50 bin is not something I'd purchase. My UV HD 10x42 is usable long past sunset. If anyone thinks that a 10x50 is going to extend the evening viewing time by 5 more mins then good for you. My 10x42 UVHD is compact and such a joy to use. A 10x42 UVHD+ would be even better.

After testing my neighbor's Leica 10x32 bins and my own Nikon EII 8x30 I am of the opinion that small bins can't match full sized bins in any way other than size and weight. There is just too much adjustment needed to get the image right.

Unless you use it for astronomy I think a 10x50 bin is not something I'd purchase. If anyone thinks that a 10x50 is going to extend the evening viewing time by 5 more mins then good for you.

After testing my neighbor's Leica 10x32 bins and my own Nikon EII 8x30 I am of the opinion that small bins can't match full sized bins in any way other than size and weight. There is just too much adjustment needed to get the image right.

The reason we're going for the 10X50 instead of the 10X42 is for the exact reason you avoid the 10X32, to reduce the amount of adjustment necessary to get the image right; hence the larger exit pupil diameter of the 10X50's at 5mm vs. 4.2. That .8 is not a lot but I'm thinking that will be a real difference in ease of image. If I am mistaken I hope someone will say so here.

Last edited:
Dwever,

Your reasons for going for the 50 instead of the 42 are feasible and there will be an appreciable difference in ease of view and adjustment. I'll offer one additional reason in the favor of the 50: it is a better binocular. This is a simplistic statement, but whenever I've spent any time with the various Leica models, I have found that the two that stand out in terms of overall excellence are the 10x50 and the 8x32. They just seem to be better optimized than their siblings.

Kimmo

Your evaluation would seem to be supported by the 10X50 Albinos review stating, "The result, achieved by the Leica Ultravid 10x50 HD speaks for itself. It places the binoculars on the leading position of our 10x50 models ranking." And the score of the 10X50 (84.6) beats the Ultravid HD 8X42 (80.2) and Ultravid HD 8X32 (81.5); although all reviews are on the HD's not the newer HD Plus having taken place prior to the plus' release. http://www.allbinos.com/index.html?test=lornetki&test_l=194

the relative differences will probably be the same for the Plus series,

Note:
8x32 HD - very short eye relief
10x50 HD - heavy, without support you might not even see more detail, especially after 8 hours of birding...

In theory the 10x50 might seem to be the best choice,
in practice, not sure if it's really worth the effort.
and you will probably see enough with a 7x42,
and your neck will be happier by the end of the day.

Note:
8x32 HD - very short eye relief
10x50 HD - heavy, without support you might not even see more detail, especially after 8 hours of birding...

I was going to mention the weight yesterday, but didn't want to kill Dwever's buzz, but yeah...36.7 oz is a brick. I always go for larger exit pupil for comfort , as it's essential to me, but in this case I would actually consider the 10x42. The big 50 would be just too heavy for me.

Good advice indeed. And hard to see from my perspective how eight or nine add'l ounces makes a brick. I've been happily toting 42 ounce bins for years. I think perhaps I would have to want 8 oz. to matter for it actually to matter. I had to and still do at times wear pounds and pounds of law enforcement gear for hours on end day after day but you literally forget it is there. You're never going, "gawd, if only they made me carry 30 rounds of ammo instead of 45." So I totally respect those for whom 9 oz. matters, but it doesn't matter. I may come back on here in a year and go, "boy was I a moron when I posted that; and I just bought these new 7X42 instead." We'll see.

Until this year I was using one of two 42.3 oz. / 1200 g 7X50 Zeiss Marines professionally in law enforcement (pictured below on right), and in Africa in my civilian job that included long safaris at the end of my trips the Zeiss came along. Maybe had I known I had such a millstone around my neck it should of bothered me, especially towards the end of the day, but it never did. It just satisfied me with it's jaw dropping optics compared to the 7X50 Steiners I had before the Zeiss.

When the whole of my bino experience was the Steiner's I was completely satisfied. Then they literally came apart from years of use, and I was subsequently stunned by the Zeiss' superior view and build. Not nearly as big a difference between my Zeiss and Leica UV HD Plus 8X42 as there was between the old Steiner and Zeiss, and the law of diminishing returns is in effect this time as the Zeiss remains formidable and fully competent glass in my applications, but I am nonetheless stunned once again by the amazing little Leica 8X42 UV HD+. The smaller narrower size and life-as-art image impresses me much more than the lighter weight.

I'm still new to all of this compared to other posters, didn't have "real" binoculars until 2013. As an aside, I've been a moron before in binocular judgement: I foolishly bought two pair of the Zeiss Marines in '13 with the logic that, well these will inevitably come apart like the Steiners did so I better jump at this MidwayUSA sale price and get a second pair. And I did. However, the first pair of Zeiss except for a couple of K9 teeth marks, run like the day I got them. They'll apparently outlast me. Remarkably robust.

Hard to imagine a lighter 36 oz. 10X50 UV HD Plus being a big deal weight wise as I am used to 42 oz. (7X42 = 27 oz.; 8X42 = 28 0z.). Now the exit pupil, that's a big deal for me having been spoiled by the 7X50.

It's all good.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 175
  • ZeissMarine.jpg
    ZeissMarine.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
DW,

Looks like (pun intended) you are already acclimated and experienced with larger and heavier optics...the 10x50 UVHD+ should be an AMAZING instrument for your needs!! :t:

Once I saw :eek!: what a 10x50 can do (SV), I've not looked back wishing I had smaller optics in the field. For me, I find no discomfort during an 8-10 hr glassing day, and that's using the OEM neck strap. The bino harness makes using these big boys (35.2 oz) even easier and more pleasurable and overall, the added heft gives me a more stable, shake free image over 8x32's and 10x42's!

I believe you'll really enjoy All the benefits the 10x50 will offer to your glassing excursions! :king:

Ted

For general birding and working in the field, I almost always grab my 8x32 Z HD's - smaller, lighter, just less to get in the way.

Now, if I'm just looking for the best possible image, I take my 8x42 HT's. The difference between the two bins is easily seen [with careful study] but the 8x32's are more than adequate for most birding, with the 8x42's really only offering esoteric improvements for most birders.

If you really are after the best image all the time, bigger is for sure better. But, if ease of use and portability are high on the list, as it is for me most of the time, then an excellent quality smaller bin. can fit the bill.,IMO.

Good advice indeed. And hard to see from my perspective how eight or nine add'l ounces makes a brick. I've been happily toting 42 ounce bins for years.
It's all good.

Then you'll obviously be fine. I was talking from my perspective. No way I'm carrying anything that heavy for bird watching. But, I'm sure the big 50 will have a stunning view. enjoy :)

Good advice indeed. And hard to see from my perspective how eight or nine add'l ounces makes a brick. I've been happily toting 42 ounce bins for years. I think perhaps I would have to want 8 oz. to matter for it actually to matter. I had to and still do at times wear pounds and pounds of law enforcement gear for hours on end day after day but you literally forget it is there. You're never going, "gawd, if only they made me carry 30 rounds of ammo instead of 45." So I totally respect those for whom 9 oz. matters, but it doesn't matter. I may come back on here in a year and go, "boy was I a moron when I posted that; and I just bought these new 7X42 instead." We'll see.

Until this year I was using one of two 42.3 oz. / 1200 g 7X50 Zeiss Marines professionally in law enforcement (pictured below on right), and in Africa in my civilian job that included long safaris at the end of my trips the Zeiss came along. Maybe had I known I had such a millstone around my neck it should of bothered me, especially towards the end of the day, but it never did. It just satisfied me with it's jaw dropping optics compared to the 7X50 Steiners I had before the Zeiss.

When the whole of my bino experience was the Steiner's I was completely satisfied. Then they literally came apart from years of use, and I was subsequently stunned by the Zeiss' superior view and build. Not nearly as big a difference between my Zeiss and Leica UV HD Plus 8X42 as there was between the old Steiner and Zeiss, and the law of diminishing returns is in effect this time as the Zeiss remains formidable and fully competent glass in my applications, but I am nonetheless stunned once again by the amazing little Leica 8X42 UV HD+. The smaller narrower size and life-as-art image impresses me much more than the lighter weight.

I'm still new to all of this compared to other posters, didn't have "real" binoculars until 2013. As an aside, I've been a moron before in binocular judgement: I foolishly bought two pair of the Zeiss Marines in '13 with the logic that, well these will inevitably come apart like the Steiners did so I better jump at this MidwayUSA sale price and get a second pair. And I did. However, the first pair of Zeiss except for a couple of K9 teeth marks, run like the day I got them. They'll apparently outlast me. Remarkably robust.

Hard to imagine a lighter 36 oz. 10X50 UV HD Plus being a big deal weight wise as I am used to 42 oz. (7X42 = 27 oz.; 8X42 = 28 0z.). Now the exit pupil, that's a big deal for me having been spoiled by the 7X50.

It's all good.

Dude
You know what is best for you but all the law enforcement stuff isn't hanging around your neck. Its not how many ounces its where those ounces are hanging. Or at least it would be for me. I regularly carry DSLR and three lenses as well as bins, backpack containing food and drink etc. No way I would want any of those lenses hanging around my neck but they are fine on my waist belt.
But if you are comfortable with your 7x50 marines (OORAH!) then good for you. With 42 ounces around my neck all day I would end up like a .40 S&W: short and weak:-O .

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back