• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID UK (1 Viewer)

NIK III

Can anyone help me with this one please. I took it at Lough pond on Lindisfarne. I'm thinking short-eared owl but would be grateful for other opinions.

Attachments

• D01000C (Medium).jpg
    D01000C (Medium).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 180
  • D01002C (Medium).jpg
    D01002C (Medium).jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 187
  • D01003C (Medium).jpg
    D01003C (Medium).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 184
  • D01006C (Medium).jpg
    D01006C (Medium).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 159
Thanks a lot phil, Bubbs and Hotspur. What you say adds up. I got a view of a brown raptor get all the ducks up and then land in the reeds. I could see it was bigger than a sparrow hawk but didn't know what it was. I lost sight of it then a minute or two later I got these pics of a raptor quartering. I did notice the white rump and first thought was harrier. When I blew the pics up at home I changed my mind because it looked so chunky and streaky, but didn't feel sure at all. I'd rather have a harrier as I'd already got an SE at the top end of Long Lonnen ;). Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back