• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beards and Barbours! (1 Viewer)

Nah, the new trend is boot cut jeans in boggy fields! Show those street wise kids a thing or two, getting their jeans soaked to the ankles while we go birding in boot cuts and merrills/puma strap overs and get soaked to the knees!

CJW said:
barbour? beard? BGAT? Blue Smock? tassled scarf?
Wouldn't be seen dead.

So, what have you been doing for the last 20+ years, wearing them in for someone else? (no beard in this one, but what coat is that.....) |:D|

Attachments

• CJW_small.jpg
    CJW_small.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 258
Kiki said:
So, what have you been doing for the last 20+ years, wearing them in for someone else? (no beard in this one, but what coat is that.....) |:D|
And not a badge to be seen. That's really letting the side down.

Me, I've been a Barbour and beard man for years. Not sure about the rewaxing though. I think I might go for a bikini instead. ;)

As a young tyro birder back in the early 80's I was always in awe of the "experts".You could easily identify them by the beards,Barbours and Optolyth scopes.Although I've always been a cynical git, I would accept any bird ID from a man with a beard.Indeed,for a couple of years I had Cory's Shearwater ticked off on the strength a bird past Cley that a whole line of Barbours proclaimed to be that species!I myself was convinced it was an imm.Gannet but as I was too young for a beard and had no waxed jacket,well,what did I know? It wasn't until I sprouted my own first facial-hair that I felt strong enough to scrub it from my list.
Later in the 80's,a blue fishermans smock was de rigueur for the serious birder,although a very short-lived fad.
Mid-90's saw several of the top boys(especially around Norfolk)wearing a strange,tassled,middle-eastern type large scarves.I'm not sure whether these were supposed to denote a certain expertise or just a lack of dress-sense.
So what I'd like to know,as someone just getting back into the scene,is what todays Twitcher-about-Town should be wearing to impress the "amateurs" and to cover up my alarming lack of fieldcraft and IDing skills.I've been working on a loud voice and overgrown sense of my own importance.
Any help appreciated.

Phil

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread (my first ever post) to say, 32 years on, I've finally re-ticked that Cory's and yes, I have got a beard.

Phil

When I started birding seriously in the 1960s barbour jackets were themselves a rarity amongst birders (or at least they were in southern England). It was the prospect of three weeks autumn birding on Fair Isle that made me concerned about getting decent waterproof gear. I reasoned that gamekeepers and the ilk ought to know a thing or two about good wet weather jackets so I popped down to my local huntin' and fishin' shop and bought a Barbour - a Solway jacket i think - in August 1972. It served me well for the next couple of decades. As I recall I was one of the first birders to wear a Barbour, but they certainly caught on a few years later!

I'm still trying to work out why Barbours are described as waterproof. Showerproof, maybe, but wear one in the rain for 6 hours and they become very soggy; and won't dry for days.

I still wear one, though.

Name a song (1976) that includes Patchouli Oil in it.

I had a 911 until 2010, I think that was absolutely not the car to go birdwatching in, but I did, and it was a great car.

I seem to recall that dungarees were favoured by one of the famous ones - and also a shirt and thin tie by another?

I agree with the comment about shoes - other than decent walking shoes or my rather nice Berghaus boots, the rest of what I wear is what I would normally wear, except when I am playing cricket.

Hello all,

I believe that Tilley hats may be de rigeur on this side of the Atlantic, but once I did see someone in a Barbour coat. However, on my patch, those Austrian binoculars seem to be required kit, among the 'ladies who bird.' As I lay no claim to being an expert, I won't describe my apparel, or appearance beyond writing that I have no beard, and my clothing is rather ordinary. Before becoming an OAP, I used to wear a sports jacket of Irish or Harris tweed, tie and fedora or a Panama hat in the summer. However, I still wear a Royal Lighthouse Service wristwatch.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back