• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peanuts in the shell. (1 Viewer)

larrycumba

I keep a feeder with peanuts in the shell. Bluejays, grackles and titmouse all like them. One day as I was watching them I thought how do the birds know there is a peanut in the shell. A lady on another forum guessed they go by smell or learned behavior by watching other birds. That leads me to the question, how does the first bird know?

Presumably desperation + evolution. When food is short, any species that has innate curiosity to find peanuts in a shell (or bugs under the tree bark, or worms under the ground, etc.) will be more likely to survive, and the skill is more likely to get passed on.

Nuts are basically nuts, so if they are eating one kind they would probably switch to another in a stride. What I wonder is how a Great Tit can tell a frozen slab of white bacon from the similarly shaped kitchen-sink sponge (or something else inedible) and recognize bacon is edible - in theory it could be some artificial inorganic object, especially if left on someone's balcony where there is always lots of junk.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back