• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Storks, Rome, 08/19/2013 - wild birds or escapees? (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
I don't know where to put this really, but since the identification is not in doubt (unless there's a dumb oversight on my part), and the actual question is not directly ID-related, I've decided to post this here.

Three of these chaps were circling over Rome (the one in Italy, in case there are any other places by that name), between the Arch of Constantine and the Colosseum, on August 19th. There were some YLG as well (probably local residents), and one of the local kestrels seemed to be mobbing the storks. They were quite high up (but still easy to identify), eventually flying away, and the picture was shot with a 15x zoom. It's also heavily cropped to fit the size restrictions for uploads.
Is there any way of telling whether these birds are early migrants or just escapees from a local facility?

Attachments

• Rom 2013 513 Schwarzstorch.JPG
    Rom 2013 513 Schwarzstorch.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 72
Hi, nothing wrong with migrants at this time I think. It's probably not yet peak time and not the main migration route, but not too unlikely either. Not sure if 3 escapees would be more likely.

Migrating Black Storks were seen in Serbia last week. I don't know if this species breeds in Italy? Maybe they were just local breeding birds or dispersing juveniles.

Since Black Stork migrate from eastern Europe across the Straits of Messina, Sicily and on to Africa and the birds will be migrating in late August, I see no reason why they shouldn't be genuine migrants rather than escapees,

Since Black Stork migrate from eastern Europe across the Straits of Messina, Sicily and on to Africa and the birds will be migrating in late August, I see no reason why they shouldn't be genuine migrants rather than escapees,

Agreed. There is a migration divide: see attached, courtesy Wikipedia.
MJB

Attachments

• Ciconia_nigra_Eurasian_Migration_.jpg
    Ciconia_nigra_Eurasian_Migration_.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 56
I saw Black Storks near Paderborn on the 6th Aug. they stayed a week and moved on. I don't know if they were early migrants, but they have been seen quite frequently, Not just the ones that I saw, in our region.

Thanks for the answers everybody. What struck me as odd was the location, right above the centre of a large city. One of the last places you'd expect a large, rare, and rather shy woodland bird to turn up. Then again, I suppose there are good thermals there.
Does this mean I can comfortably "tick" this as a lifer?

Congratulations to your lifer!

Yes, on migration they can flow over any place, and a hot city centre may indeed cause good upward winds that they use to gain height...

What struck me as odd was the location, right above the centre of a large city. One of the last places you'd expect a large, rare, and rather shy woodland bird to turn up. Then again, I suppose there are good thermals there.
Does this mean I can comfortably "tick" this as a lifer?
I did :)
But we have a large forested island at the confluence, which would be just next to the center of city, and when I looked up (I was trying to fill my water bottle at the drinking fountain, well, the silly bottle was too large to fit inside the "sink" so I guess I was doing it for a few minutes), the stork was flying above the edge of the island as if determining whether to try to land on one of the trees. My first thought was large bird=White-tailed Eagle, wait, no screaming crows flying around it, oh, that's a Black Stork, can it be anything else? no, it is just looking in the opposite direction than in field guide, that's why it looks a bit strange.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back