• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beards and Barbours! (1 Viewer)

Phil Carter

As a young tyro birder back in the early 80's I was always in awe of the "experts".You could easily identify them by the beards,Barbours and Optolyth scopes.Although I've always been a cynical git, I would accept any bird ID from a man with a beard.Indeed,for a couple of years I had Cory's Shearwater ticked off on the strength a bird past Cley that a whole line of Barbours proclaimed to be that species!I myself was convinced it was an imm.Gannet but as I was too young for a beard and had no waxed jacket,well,what did I know? It wasn't until I sprouted my own first facial-hair that I felt strong enough to scrub it from my list.
Later in the 80's,a blue fishermans smock was de rigueur for the serious birder,although a very short-lived fad.
Mid-90's saw several of the top boys(especially around Norfolk)wearing a strange,tassled,middle-eastern type large scarves.I'm not sure whether these were supposed to denote a certain expertise or just a lack of dress-sense.
So what I'd like to know,as someone just getting back into the scene,is what todays Twitcher-about-Town should be wearing to impress the "amateurs" and to cover up my alarming lack of fieldcraft and IDing skills.I've been working on a loud voice and overgrown sense of my own importance.
Any help appreciated.

Phil

frecklezgecko said:
Mid-90's saw several of the top boys(especially around Norfolk)wearing a strange,tassled,middle-eastern type large scarves.I'm not sure whether these were supposed to denote a certain expertise or just a lack of dress-sense.

I've been working on a loud voice and overgrown sense of my own importance.
Any help appreciated.

Phil

ha ha ha hilarious Phil :bounce: could be a spicy thread...

I know who you mean!!! Drinking with one tonight!. Sure he'll be delighted. They were picked up on middle eastern trips. They are certainly pretty expert but the dress sense isn't any better on the whole...probably worse

a brightly coloured authentic 'Nepali' shoulder bag was popular for a time to carry your notebook/paints/stash etc...

although this season's discerning birder is wearing shades and converse boots, and maybe a genuine Cusquena beer t shirt.?

PS, being seen to actually use a notebook should improve cred. points instantly, make a sketch and jaws will drop.

last point seems to be de rigeur these days and comes with complimentary swarovski gear...and fully extended eye poker tripod so you can't actually use bins when walking.

atb
Tim

I remember when I first started a bit of twitching back in the early '90s that the people attracting the most attention, and the ones to be seen hanging around with, always had a strong smell of Patchouli oil (is that spelt correctly?)

Another thing was seeing loads of permit and reserve stickers for sites (Belvide, Blithfield, Gibraltar Point...) in the windows of cars - something you never see anymore since the Police said that these cars always get targetted by thieves!

I always expect people with slightly knackered Zeiss BGAT bins that turn up on bicycle to be pretty amazing. I guess these things are shaped by birders you meet that really impress you. In that case it was meeting Laurie Williams at the Hayle Estuary when I was about 13.

Last edited:
I don't know about the experts, but I dress the same whether out birding, shopping with my wife or off for a night out. The key for me is the shoes - so long as my shoes are comfortable I'm ok, you'll normally find a pair of DCs vaguely attached to my feet.
I think that the sheer number of people who start birding and instantly buy top end optics has removed any chance of judging ability based on bins.
All that said I do have a beard (though have never owned a barbour), but that's more to balance the lack of hair on top of my head than to indicate knowledge.

Last edited:
tom mckinney said:
the ones to be seen hanging around with, always had a strong smell of Patchouli oil (is that spelt correctly?)

you know it is you tart! I bet you drink it.

ylang ylang is today's fragrance though or authentic joss sticks from northern India/Tibet

wasn't it weird about the stickers? n the late 80s a birder's car had about 50 stickers in it - all shouting ' I've gone up Blakeney Point for the day, rob me'

as for using BGATs i couldn't possibly comment ;)

Tim

Patchouli oil? Camouflage for the aroma of burning 'herbal' tobacco! And the scarves? These were the uniform of the Cley Bird Club, instigated by the ever-lovely Mark Golley, David Bryant and Martin Read! C'est vrai!

Anyone who was anyone in the late mid 70's / early 80's aspired to a genuine ex-council Donkey Jacket & Army surplus fatigue pants. Barbours were for the hunting, shooting, fishing brigade. Stickers were used to hold the cars together - more stringent MOT's have seen the demise of that type of car. Usually a small Citroen, Fiat or Beetle.

postcardcv said:
I don't know about the experts, but I dress the same whether out birding, shopping with my wife or off for a night out. The key for me is the shoes - so long as my shoes are comfortable I'm ok, you'll normally find a pair of DCs vaguely attached to my feet.
I think that the sheer number of people who start birding and instantly buy top end optics has removed any chance of judging ability based on bins.
All that said I do have a beard (though have never owned a barbour), but that's more to balance the lack of hair on top of my head than to indicate knowledge.

Fascinating postcardcv but what are DC's? True about the high-end bins. Had a guy at Symonds Yat Rock the other day sporting brand spanking new Ultravids who thought a Wood Pigeon was a Peregrine! No brightly coloured 'Nepoli' shoulder bag, however, and not a hint of ylang ylang, so it couldn't have been Tim! ;)

Last edited:
Well, I've got a beard, but I think it's too short to really qualify. To be a proper expert you need to be able to pass the Taliban test - i.e. you can close your fist over the beard and still have some of it sticking out below your fist.

These were the uniform of the Cley Bird Club, instigated by the ever-lovely Mark Golley, David Bryant and Martin Read! C'est vrai!

ahhh... there were several of those scarves at Burnham Norton on Sunday, wondered what that was all about ;)

David Pedder said:
Fascinating postcardcv but what are DC's? True about the high-end bins. Had a guy at Symonds Yat Rock the other day sporting brand spanking new Ultravids who thought a Wood Pigeon was a Peregrine! No brightly coloured 'Nepoli' shoulder bag, however, and not a hint of ylang ylang, so it couldn't have been Tim! ;)

DC's were originally a skate shoe (in the vain of Vans or Airwalks) been around for ages, but only been readily available in the UK for about 5 years. They're a touch expensive but exceedingly comfortable and worth every penny, I think I've got 10 pairs at the moment - I always buy them when I find them cheap.
http://www.schuhstore.co.uk/brand_main_frameset.asp?perameters=3,%20'DCSHOE%20CO'&count=0

PhilW said:
Anyone who was anyone in the late mid 70's / early 80's aspired to a genuine ex-council Donkey Jacket & Army surplus fatigue pants. Barbours were for the hunting, shooting, fishing brigade. Stickers were used to hold the cars together - more stringent MOT's have seen the demise of that type of car. Usually a small Citroen, Fiat or Beetle.

I have a beard (of sorts) but does an Aston Martin DB7 count as a 'real' birder's car?

Last edited:
Rhion said:
To be a proper expert you need to be able to pass the Taliban test - i.e. you can close your fist over the beard and still have some of it sticking out below your fist.

Oh bu&%er.....I'LL never be classed as an expert then! ;)

GILL

"ahhh... there were several of those scarves at Burnham Norton on Sunday, wondered what that was all about "

They're not still wearing them?Has no-one got a lighter?

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back