• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss FL 8X32 and 8X42 user feedback (1 Viewer)

Firstly I live in a area where the nearest stockist is about 3000 km away so I do not have the chance to try before I buy. I buy many products sight unseen and that is a fact of life for me. to this end I rely on posts and reviews by others and I sometimes post to give others the same information that I sometimes seek.

I recently purchased both the 8x32 and 8x42 FL bins and was able to fairly extensively test them both side by side in the field under a variety of conditions. Comparison was not made against any other binocular.

Firstly the view through both under all conditions is outstanding. Optically there are very nice to use. Absolutely no complaints or concerns at all.

The sweet spot is simply not an issue, and never ever noticeable, with either model.

In low light there was surprisingly no noticeable advantage with the larger 8x42 which also has a theoretical advantage in the techology used in the prisms. The 8x42 simply does not seem to provide a brighter image in light levels that are usable. They are both very good indeed.

Size, the 8x32 clearly wins. It is compact and very easily handled. The 8X42 is a little oversized in comparison which makes me reach for the 8x32 if given the chance.

Eyecups. They are different in size and both suffer from lack of a firm stop to maintain the desired setting. The smaller 8x32 has larger eyecups which seem preferable to the smaller cups on the 8x42 that go into my sockets. But both work well except they do not hold their setting and continually have to be checked for correct eye relief setting. In the end I found it easier to just have the cups wound right out and find that they somehow wind back in a setting or two and have to be wound back out during use.

Diopter adjustment. The 8x32 dipopter wheel stays put but the 8x42 sometimes comes out and if not careful the diopter is set instead of the focus. It is simply not I would call a good design but not a real problem. Something that can be got used to - provided it does not get looser/worse with use.

Focus mechanism. Now this is the biggest suprise of the unwanted kind. Four days into use on a 16 day trip, from new but under dusty conditions, the 8x32 focus wheel became gritty and stiffer. In alternately rotating the focus and diopter adjustment back and forth in the hope that it would become smooth again the focus /wheel mechanism partially popped out. The internal workings were partially revealed to show what appeared to be white grease and plastic cogs. The focus syncronisation between each side was lost and the whole mechanism thereafter spun (when it should not) during focus. Now the focus does not work properly and the diopter has to be continually reset. Simply put, the focus is cactus and they will go back for repair or exchange.

I am dissapointed with the focus failure, but this will of course be fixed.

Sean

raymondjohn said:
Sean

What do you think cased the problem, the dust or unreliable mechanics.

best wishes

raymondjohn

John

I dont really know the answer. I dont know if I would conclude that the mechanics are unreliable becuase I have not heard of another with the same problem. But I would be keen to hear if others have been using the FL for a while and whether they think dust sealing is an issue.

Sean

sean davis said:
John

I dont really know the answer. I dont know if I would conclude that the mechanics are unreliable becuase I have not heard of another with the same problem. But I would be keen to hear if others have been using the FL for a while and whether they think dust sealing is an issue.

Sean

Can't comment on dust sealing, but I had an unfortunate experience with the focus/diopter mechanism on my FL 7x42s, bought last October (perhaps an early model?). After a few months of use the focus became rather rough; I sent the bins back to Zeiss UK, who sent them to Germany for repair. When they came back the focus was better (though rather stiff) but the diopter mechanism would no longer click into the eyesight position and stay there. At this point, Zeiss UK promptly replaced my bins with a new pair, so I have no complaints about Zeiss UK. However, my opnions about the engineer who did the work in Germany is, shall we say, less positive.

Other users have complained that the diopter ring 'lifts' out of position in use. My feeling is that the focus/diopter mechanism is not as robust as that of other top of the range makes. Check it before buying.

My new bins are fine though; very smooth focus and no problems with the diopter mechanism, though I prefer the very positive way the Leica and Swarovski mechanisms click into place.

Sean

dogfish said:
Other users have complained that the diopter ring 'lifts' out of position in use. My feeling is that the focus/diopter mechanism is not as robust as that of other top of the range makes. Check it before buying.

I had a 10x42 FL for a few days and I did not like the focuser. I am critical of the lack of pro-active design philosophy: just design the damn thing so that nothing happens to it in the future.

I have had a pair of Zeiss 8x42FL's for two weeks now.

My initial thoughts were that I preferred my trusty Leica 8x32's which I have owned for several years preferring the greater depth of field of the Leicas and the warmer more natural colours. However I decided to persevere with the FLs and whilst it's still early days I must admit they are growing on me. I tend to reach for them now first and also leave the Leicas at home.

I have to agree that the optics are superb.

I do like the brighter optics of the FLs certainly for evening viewing and even at dusk proper - they're ideal for watching the birds coming in to roost. Last week I went on a Nightjar watch and they proved their worth as the light faded, giving a discernable view that other binos couldn't match. I find the very crisp optics give more a feeling of a small spotting scope rather than just binoculars.

The eyecups haven't really been an issue as being a spectacle wearer the are left fully down. Diopter adjustment I set when I took them out of the box and it hasn't moved since. I found it very positive to set and there hasn't been a hint of movement since. The focus control seems perfect for my use.

Overall they sit very well in the hand with the rubber coating giving a firm grip. The objective covers are a good fit too.

My only gripe as such is the rain guard over the eyecups - it's a little too large meaning it comes free too easily. I'd have preferred a slightly snugger fit - but really it's easily addressed and only a minor point.

It will be interesting to see how they do after a couple of months use - so far so good :t:

Sean and all,

Not to comment on much anything else, but I'm more than a bit dismayed and surprised if the cogs in the Zeiss FL focus mechanism indeed are plastic. I'm conservative enough in things mechanical to think that while plastics may have their uses and even be superior to metals in some applications, gears do not fall under that category of applications.

Kimmo

IanF said:
I have had a pair of Zeiss 8x42FL's for two weeks now.

My only gripe as such is the rain guard over the eyecups - it's a little too large meaning it comes free too easily. I'd have preferred a slightly snugger fit - but really it's easily addressed and only a minor point....
:t:

I too find the rainguard too large. How did you easily address it Ian?
Bob

Bob McKay said:
Bob

You could perhaps stick some insulation tape on the insides of the rainguard? When my 75-150 zoom tromboned too easily, I stuck some tape on and hey presto, problem solved.

Leif

The 32mm FL's have a larger diameter eyecup and rainguard compared to earlier 42mm's. Zeiss-USA told me Zeiss planned to switch to the larger eyecup and and rainguard on the 42mm's. Could this be a mismatch with a small eyecup and large rainguard? The large rainguard would be around 2 or 3mm too big for the small eyecup. My small rainguard is vey tight on the small eyecup.

kabsetz said:
Sean and all,

Not to comment on much anything else, but I'm more than a bit dismayed and surprised if the cogs in the Zeiss FL focus mechanism indeed are plastic. I'm conservative enough in things mechanical to think that while plastics may have their uses and even be superior to metals in some applications, gears do not fall under that category of applications.

Kimmo

I'm not an expert on plastics, but not all plastics are equal. Some are extremely tough and well-suited for light-duty bearing surfaces.

Bob McKay said:
Bob
Similar solution to Leif - I just used self adhesive velcro tape on the inside of the rain guard - just the soft bit rather than the hooked side! Fitted all around the inside it makes a nice cushioned fit.

henry link said:
The 32mm FL's have a larger diameter eyecup and rainguard compared to earlier 42mm's. Zeiss-USA told me Zeiss planned to switch to the larger eyecup and and rainguard on the 42mm's. Could this be a mismatch with a small eyecup and large rainguard? The large rainguard would be around 2 or 3mm too big for the small eyecup. My small rainguard is vey tight on the small eyecup.
I do wonder Henry - perhaps they only did a one-size fits all!

A shame as that really is the only thing I find as a niggle.

The issue of using plastic cogs is a little worrying though on such a high end/priced item - if correct. I've never found plastic parts in anything to be very durable - especially so in optics.

Plastic focusing gears in Zeiss FL

kabsetz said:
Sean and all,

Kimmo

Are you sure the gears are plastic or are you just theorizing that they are. I would like to find out if they really are plastic.

Dennis

Zeiss Plastic focusing gears?

kabsetz said:
I was only commenting on what Sean said in post #1. I have not taken apart a Zeiss FL - and don't intend to.

Kimmo

I e-mailed Zeiss asking them if the focusing gears are plastic on the Victory FL series. I am really curious to see if they are. If I get a reply I will post it.

Denco and all

Please post your reply from Zeiss about the cogs. Note I said 'appeared to be white grease and plastic'. Also its the grease that concerns me more.

The rainguards are not interchangeable. It is not one size fits all. The smaller ones a tight fit. The larger ones a loose fit.

The bins are now in for warranty and I am waiting for a response.

Sean

IanF said:
...................The issue of using plastic cogs is a little worrying though on such a high end/priced item - if correct. I've never found plastic parts in anything to be very durable - especially so in optics.
In response to this query Zeiss confirmed that plastic is not used in the cog mechanism, rather brass and aluminium. Anyone attending the Bird Fair at Rutland later this month will have the opportunity to view the construction on the Zeiss stand and have the opprotunity to ask questions of the technical staff.

From at least October, 2004 to May, 2005, Zeiss out-of-warranty product repair estimates were provided after the unit arrived in Germany, where actual repairs were also completed -- for product purchased through an authorized Zeiss dealer. The Zeiss warranty strictly covered manufacturing defects only, and out-of-warranty repairs were expensive (hundreds of dollars) and slow (five months in one example).

However, at the following undated website, Zeiss explicitly outlines that buying grey market Zeiss products penalizes the consumer: grey market product repairs need to be shipped to (Guess where?) Germany, rather than repaired in the US: <www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/contents-frame/25d4cad22eaa80485256ce8007a8f73>. Using <zeiss warranty> as a search phrase in Google, this was the eighth item, titled "Document: Consumer Alert".

The optical quality of Zeiss scopes and binoculars is stunning. However, another birder dropped his 10x42 FLs a short distance on to soft ground, putting them out of alignment, while Swarovski ELs, Leica Ultravids, and Nikon HGLs/Premier LXs seem to be built like tanks -- and two of these have no-fault warranties.

Any comments on the current build quality of Zeiss 42FLs would be appreciated.

Optical performance and build quality aside, is anyone seeing positive change in Zeiss service? If not, other brands are more attractive, or a consumer could buy the bargain grey market Zeiss product, skip out-of-warranty service in Germany in the event of an accident, seeing the lack of service cost as a discount on a new binocular -- in other words, treat it like a toaster.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike Penfold said:
However, another birder dropped his 10x42 FLs a short distance on to soft ground, putting them out of alignment, while Swarovski ELs, Leica Ultravids, and Nikon HGLs/Premier LXs seem to be built like tanks - ...
Was this a standardised test, Mike?

Did all the mentioned brands have the same drop?

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back