• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (24 Viewers)

I think I'm right in stating that there's an Upton Warren work party scheduled for later this month.
If so, is it our/your intention to post the timings, intentions and perhaps rendezvous place on the Forum?
Speaking to Fergus Henderson and now knowing what reed beds have been ringed in the past for Cetti's, there is considerable thinning/coppicing to be done if that area is to be used again for similar success.
Fergus is a busy man, and I know that those of you who know him, would welcome him if I could get him to come up and visit to coincide with a future work party. It would be nice to see if our joint plans (maintenance and ringing) could be amended to work together and pull in the same direction... what are the thoughts of the UW hardcore/wardens?

Hi Simon
Yes there are work parties later this and early next month.
Both are being held at the Flashes 9.30 start. meet at sailing car park
1st:- Sunday 27th September work will include clearing feeding station area and if time allows work on the scrapes removing phragmites from the muddy wader habitat.
This work party has been added because some of the regulars are going to the Scillies in early October and would miss the usual work party on the 1st Sunday in the month.
2nd:- Sunday 4th October this work party will start work on the creation of a new shingle island. to provide breeding opportunities for LRP's Avocet and lapwing. The work will involve wheelbarrowing the pathing slabs from the steps, constructing the island (sited to the left of the main 'spit' in 50 yards in front of the main hide. Strimming the long grass and other tasks will be carried out - dependent on the number of people.

Regarding the Cettis habitat....we will discuss with the Moors work party what Fergus has said I know what he means. If I see you on Saturday AM will get more details off you or post on here ....no worries
cheers John

Thanks for the info, John.
Missed you this morning. The Flashes were trying hard not to be the most awe inspiring place in the world again, today... and failing in spades!

Attachments

• Cobwebs.jpg
    Cobwebs.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Heron.jpg
    Heron.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Misty Tree.jpg
    Misty Tree.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Curlew Sunrise.jpg
    Curlew Sunrise.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 153
well upton on saturday was quiet,and i mean quiet,the cetti's warblers were singing again and we saw a smipe on the moors from the west hide,a few willow warblers and a juv pheasant.spent about an hour and a half waiting for the bittern to show or even just a water rail but non shown.at the flashes to say i got distracted was a bit of an understatement,just have a look at this pair:t:
o.JPG

SDC18017.JPG
a bit better at the flashes 1 dunlin(doing its best to hide behind the BHG's at the back of the flash),7 green sand,1 redshank,25+curlew,6 snipe and a kingfisher on the brook.
a quiet week to say the least:-C
MB

well upton on saturday was quiet,and i mean quiet,
a quiet week to say the least:-C
MB

Yes Craig. A real quiet time at moment. If its any consolation there was an air of expectancy on the east coast this weekend all to no avail. Several birders spending all day in the field - so if they're getting nothing not much hope for us, although predictions for this coming week seem better with the possibility of rain. Keep checking the hedgerows
cheers John

Yes Craig. A real quiet time at moment. If its any consolation there was an air of expectancy on the east coast this weekend all to no avail. Several birders spending all day in the field - so if they're getting nothing not much hope for us, although predictions for this coming week seem better with the possibility of rain. Keep checking the hedgerows
cheers John

what headgerows,im at school in dudley untill friday where i move back to worcester with my dad,
there's a booted warbler at spurn(good enough for me)(sorry upton fourum)
isnt it time for a glossy ibis to join the curlews,i dout we'll mind that.
the aston martin was my consilation prize(my dream car)
MB

Had a quick visit to the Moors Pools this afternoon, from the Water Rail hide we had super views of 4 Little Grebes which were quite happy mingling with the Canada Geese, Mallards, Shovellers, Swans and Coots who were all surprisingly colse to the reeds near the hide! We also had a quick view of a Water Rail darting across the water to the reeds! On the other side of the pool the Kingfisher was feeding merrily away and the whole pool livened up by the appearance of 2 Hobbies!! There also seemed to be more dragonflies out and about today in front of the hide meaning that a quick hours visit to the Moors was really productive!!

Attachments

• P1150920 [].JPG
    P1150920 [].JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 143
  • P1150924 [].JPG
    P1150924 [].JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 147
  • P1150926 [].JPG
    P1150926 [].JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 148
I'm guessing that was you MB, who arrived with your dad, on Sat in the Bittern Hide? I had to leave as I was already late...

Nice Aston - one of the new V12 ones, isn't it? Some folks just have way too much money. :-C

yeah it is an aston martin vantage RS,wery nice(by the way i didnt even think they were lunched in the uk yet)
yeah that was me,i figured it was you when brian(you know the one who owns the yellow car to the right of the aston) said he didnt know your name but said he knew you took the pic of the avocet on the upton warren leafet,from that i knew it was you(you was braggin about it on your blog:-O:-O:-O,and dont forget the book cover,or back,im not sure:-O),nice to see you there,did you even lift your camera for anything,i only lifted mine for when all the lapwings took off while in the 'spider' hide.(oh and for the aston)
MB
emma,we noticed quite a large amount of dragonflys on sat too, maybe a late hatch out:t:

Nowt wrong with mentioning one's achievements in public; I don't get many in general. And no, I didn't take a single shot. Was quiet there on both days over the weekend. Bit of a change from all the excitement of late.

Draycote made up for it though. Am I allowed to mention that in here, or will the Sphincter Police arrest me?

Last edited:
Had another early start at the Flashes this morning (5.50am).
A fair bit of visible migration involved 60 Meadow Pipit, Wigeon (5), several warblers namely Lesser Whitethroat, Reed and Sedge and several Blackcap also 2 whinchat.
On the wader front the juvenile Little Stint was accompanied by 26 Snipe and 6 Green Sands.
The main event today however was the sheer numbers of passerines in and around the reserve. The 'set a side' north field held a mixed flock which included 50 greenfinch 50+ Goldfinch, 10 Linnet and 15 reed Bunting in the same field there were also at least 50 Stock Dove and several Skylark as well as the meadow pipits. Beyond the sewage works a flock of 200 or so finch types were impossible to identify due to the angle of the sun.

Anyone visiting the Flashes will notice the drop in water levels and the large expanse of mud - this will hopefully attract any late passage waders and also make it easier to gain access to the area where the new shingle island will be constructed.

The work will start next Sunday 27th Sept and continue on Sunday 4th October
If anyone wants to help you will be made most welcome - bring your wellies and gloves, refreshments will be provided.

To those that normally visit on a Sunday apologies for any inconvenience.
cheers John

quite a productive saturday at the flashes/sailing pool on saturday, got out the car and at least 30 wagtails were flying around.the wagtails were roosting in the trees between the sailing pool and the car park.when on the south shore i heard a yellow wagatail calling i looked at the flock and saw the yellow wagtail flying into the trees.a water rail was in the hen pool(heard but seen briefly).a showy male kestrel on the dead tree shown well from the path for about 3 mins,
a huge influx of snipe from last week with 20+ noted,a awney owl was seen briefly near the barns,
just as the light started to fade my target poped out from behind the feet of 9 curlew(12+ overall),a little stint(lifer),i remembered a saying from seeing this 'look for some waders then look at the small waders,then look at the tiny bird scuttling around there feet,that is the little stint.it was too dark to get a pic or video as it was when a whinchat shown on the top of a bush.it was nice to be in the hide with just my dad this weekend after the overcrowded time with the sabine's.
it was also nice to see shelduck back at the warren after there absence over the summer
MB

I had a look around both the Flashes and the Moors yesterday. The Hen Pool hide provided a great aural experience of 2 Cetti's going at it hammer & tong. They're so loud! Also about were water rails (also hiding), sedge and reed warblers, several reed buntings and a chiffchaff / willow warbler, going around with them.

At the back of the Flashes were 3 buzzards, feeding off the ground after the farmer had trundled past in his tractor. On the lake itself were numerous curlews, 4 green sandpipers, plenty of snipe and the usual flocks of lapwings.

Over at the Moors there wasn't much about - apparently there was a pintail, but I couldn't locate it. I did notice a couple of young-looking rats around... can these be trapped and snuffed out? Or will they be heron / bittern food over the winter?

Over at the Moors there wasn't much about - apparently there was a pintail, but I couldn't locate it. I did notice a couple of young-looking rats around... can these be trapped and snuffed out? Or will they be heron / bittern food over the winter?
Hi Pete
:t:;) all in hand

Did you notice any large flocks of passerines, only on saturday good numbers of finches bunting and meadow pipits(many perched in front of the hide on the fence) were about. Also warblers and thrushes were in the hedgerow on the approach to the hides.
I don't know if its too distant for good pictures but in front of the 2nd flash hide there were good opportinities for pics of snipe, curlew and green sand etc in the morning. I think the light might not be that brilliant first thing though, but in the evenings the birds tend to be a bit more distant
cheers john

Hi Pete
:t:;) all in hand

Did you notice any large flocks of passerines, only on saturday good numbers of finches bunting and meadow pipits(many perched in front of the hide on the fence) were about. Also warblers and thrushes were in the hedgerow on the approach to the hides.
I don't know if its too distant for good pictures but in front of the 2nd flash hide there were good opportinities for pics of snipe, curlew and green sand etc in the morning. I think the light might not be that brilliant first thing though, but in the evenings the birds tend to be a bit more distant
cheers john

not the snipe there right in front of the hide+ green sands close too

Will have to try it early doors one of the days. The water level is a bit low to encourage them over and into the closest channel (now dried up) later on in the day. I've had some decent shots from the first hide in the past, of snipes and water rails, at the edge of the lake.

No large flocks, though I didn't stay at that hide for very long.

John

I'll have to send my apologies for this Sunday's work party. I'm going out ringing with Fergus.
I am aware that I have the non-running (Husqvarna) strimmer/brush cutter that I'm donating to the cause. Is there anywhere or time that we can meet up between now and then? I have reason for descending upon Redditch in the next few days, if that helps.

Rgds

Hi Simon
thanks for strimmer. sent you an email with my mobile number. Have to get fergus down to upton on work party days - no excuse then:-O
cheers John

I'll work on him, John.
Although he has asked that I speak to Gordon about cutting some paths/rides into the Moors reedbed where he goes after the Cetti's.
In the meantime, I've just replied to your e-mail and added my mobile number too.

New website for Upton Warren!

A new website for Upton Warren has now gone 'live'. This is in direct response to the growing interest in the reserve and to bring together all the photographs, articles and sightings that have been provided to the Worcester Birding website over the past 3 years. More will be added to the site over the coming weeks and months.

Hope you like it: www.uptonwarrenbirding.co.uk

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back