• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with blackbirds - Florida - USA (1 Viewer)

BirdsPeru

Alejandro Tabini
Hi,

I would like some help with the ID of two pictures I took last week at Everglades, Florida, USA.

IMG_45967 for me looks like a Brewer's Blackbird but not sure about it, main features are size (smaller than a grackle), the white eye and dark neck and head.

IMG_45974 for me a Boat-tailed Grackle but would like confirmation about it.

Alejandro

Attachments

• IMG_45967_Low.jpg
    IMG_45967_Low.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_45974_Low.jpg
    IMG_45974_Low.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 115
First one looks like a Common Grackle to me. The bill is a little thicker than a typical Brewer's Blackbird should be and the iridescence is brighter and there's some bronze around the neck area which Brewer's does not show.

Second bird is a Boat-Tailed Grackle of one of the Gulf Coast races with brown eyes.

I agree 1st is a Common Grackle 2nd is a Boat-Tailed Grackle. Brewers Blackbirds wouldn't have that heavy of bills.

Last edited:
I'd agree - first is Common Grackle, second Boat-tailed. A Brewer's Blackbird would be a very good record in Florida.

They did have one or two in the state last winter though, so it isn't impossible. But everyone's got the IDs right for these two.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back