• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bough Beech Reservoir Friday 16th April (1 Viewer)

Lancey

Dear all,
I had a productive and sunny morning at Bough Beech where spring migrants were aplenty ( or as aplenty as Bough Beech gets in my humble experience!).

A Chiffchaff was singing in a tree by the causeway and was soon joined by a Cuckoo, my first of the year. The leader of a birding group showed me the tree branch upon which it was perched and showing well. My first of the year.

A 'tu-tu-tu' call from a wader flying onto the North lake at 9:30am drew my attention to a Greenshank which literally stayed to preen for a minute before flying off across the main reservoir calling. Again, my first of the spring.

Walking down the track to the Oast House, a White Wagtail was feeding briefly with a Pied Wagtail until both flew off. Following the footpath uphill to a strip of woodland festooned with bluebells, my first Willow Warbler was singing from a tree top showing its yellow tinted underparts.

Later in the morning, a Whimbrel flew over the main reservoir calling but didn't settle - I've not seen one at Bough Beech before, but I'm not a regular visitor, more a seasonal migrant.

The Common Scoters were mere dots in the far distance and I've probably seen closer ones on sea-watches, but I can't really complain can I?

It was a most enjoyable morning out. If only Bough Beech was like that more often (apologies to Bough beech regulars).

Lancey

Attachments

• 16-apr-04 002.jpg
    16-apr-04 002.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 16-apr-04 003.jpg
    16-apr-04 003.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 138
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back