• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mid-winter birding in Iceland (1 Viewer)

Edward

Umimmak
Iceland
Yesterday (28 December) the annual winter bird count was conducted by plucky volunteers (a.k.a. gullible fools) on behalf of the Natural History Institute. I took my usual area which consists of three parallel shallow bays of the sea and the tidal shoreline in southern suburban Reykjavík. I just walk the shoreline, about five miles in total, counting the birds I see on the way. Passerines are mostly recorded flying over between adjacent suburban gardens but I don't tend to count birds in the gardens themselves, hence the low number of the otherwise common Redwing, Redpoll etc. The weather yesterday was cold, -10°C with a slight breeze at times which made it feel colder but at least it was dry (unlike today - a blizzard is currently raging). Sunrise was about 1130 and sunset about 1530 meaning that it's impossible to start much before 11. There was nothing really unexpected although I usually see auks of some description and didn't yesterday. Here's what I saw and the numbers:

Cormorant - 6
Whooper Swan - 14
Greylag Goose - 10
Mallard - 80
Gadwall - 5
Teal - 1
Wigeon - 38
Tufted Duck - 1
Scaup - 4
Long-tailed Duck - 15
Eider - 368
Red-breasted Merganser - 5
Gyr Falcon - 1
Oystercatcher - 35
Redshank - 16
Turnstone - 3
Great Black-backed Gull - 1
Glaucous Gull - 11
Iceland Gull - 5
Redwing - 1
Snow Bunting - 115
Common Redpoll - 3
Starling - 75
Raven - 23

E

I am looking for a Long-tailed Duck and g you casually see fifteen! Grrr!

Gosh 368 Eiders, that must be a sight for sore eyes.

Yes Edward,

You may certainly send down a few Long Tailed Ducks, a Gyr Falcon or two, Glaucous and Icelandic Gulls, Snow Buntings and a few Redpolls for good measure.

What we would not want you to send, of course, would be the -10 degree chill and the four hours of daylight.
My God, by 11.30 the sun has been up here for over three hours. How do you cope?

Must be good in Summer though. Birding past midnight if you wish. :bounce: :bounce:

Padraig.

Hi Andrew and Padraig,

Well you do get most of those birds listed above visiting you in Devon at some time or other! The Long-tailed Ducks were scattered about in pairs but usually start gathering (and singing loudly) in late winter and become far more numerous. Same for the Eider. Andrew you should come to Reykjavík in March and you can see 4,000 Eider together by the harbour and then you can virtually guarantee a King Eider or two amongst them, and a Gyr Falcon watching and waiting! I also have quite few gulls on my patch. The next area immediately to the south had 270+ of both Glaucous and Iceland Gulls in the winter count. My patch is too clean and suburban, no fishing boats!

Padraig, the summer does make up for the winter as 24 hour birding is possible mid-May to mid-July. In winter I read a lot!

E

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back