• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

great northern, scoter, little auk? (1 Viewer)

pushbike

thought I saw a great northern diver in sennen Bay on 30th dec 2003 about 50-100m metres beyond breaking surf, not doing much, initial thoughts were it looked a bit like a cormorant but sitting higher on the water, after looking on internet GN diver in winter plumage is the closest I could find is this likely?

Also help with Id of largish duck with head/bill shape very similar to Eider only colouration varied not like striking male eider plumage, mainly blackish with some white on front chest and on neck and maybe some green on top of bill. spotted 31 dec in mouth of Penzance harbour diving for crabs, immature Eider or Surf Scoter?

one other, Penzance promenade 31 dec 2003, a bird very close to shore, beneath harbour wall looking like a small squat guillemot what could that be?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

G N Divers are frequent winter visitors to Cornish waters, but they tend to sit lower in the water than Cormorants. Check out immature Cormorant, they can also be surprisingly white on their breast & belly.

Bird 2: immature drake Eider, one year (well, 8 months) old.

Bird 3: probably a Guillemot, though Razorbill is also possible

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Bird 3: probably a Guillemot, though Razorbill is also possible
Hi Michael. I don't think I would like to bet between these two. Just across the peninsula in St Ives Bay Razorbills are more numerous than Guillemots. Or at least they always used to be. Having years ago watched local fishermen hauling in their nets and chucking dead auks over the side at two a penny things might have changed - but I think measures were taken to stop or reduce the auk kill.

Jason

I am familiar with razorbills and guillemots, I saw a razorbill at just as close range (3-4m) off the pier only a few minutes later this bird was quite a bit smaller.

Well if you're sure it was an auk and it was much smaller than a Razorbill, it would have to be a Little Auk. The only other possibility I can think of would be one of the smaller grebes like Slavonian or Black-necked - but then you should have noticed the un-auk-like long neck.

Jason

pushbike said:
thought I saw a great northern diver in sennen Bay on 30th dec 2003 about 50-100m metres beyond breaking surf, not doing much, initial thoughts were it looked a bit like a cormorant but sitting higher on the water, after looking on internet GN diver in winter plumage is the closest I could find is this likely?

...Uh... what you describe could be a Great auk as well. No, forget it. Too much wine yesterday. B :)

On the auk, it might also be possible that it's an immature Puffin, which wouldn't have such an obviously 'Puffin-like' bill as an adult. I would have thought Little Auk would be more likely at this time of the year though so that would get my vote.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back