• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Attack (1 Viewer)

snapper

Hi all just been to take the dog a walk when I got back my bird table was empty again there were 6 adult starlings & 4 young smoe on the table some on the fence so I topped up the table & sat & watched the adults feeding there young so I went in to the garage to get them so meal worms came out with the tub as a male sparrowhawk swooped over me took one of the young off the fence into next doors entery I ran around next door the hawk had the squawking starling young pinned to the floor when it saw me it flew away & luckily so did the young starling I feel a bit guilty for depriving the hawk of its meal but I could not have lived with myself if I had let the young starling die these are hard decisions to make when you think of the hawks young going without WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE.

Regards Snapper.

Last edited:
I probably would have left it alone. Having said that, no way would I have watched until the starling was well and truly dead! This, coming from one who clapped her hands at two fighting robins, just feet away from her.

I would have done the same as you snapper, and have done, and will do every time. There's no way I would ever not intervene at something being ripped apart and eaten alive, be it bird or beast. Sorry, but that's the way I am. Nature it may be, but its my nature to help the helpless. Those that can stand by and watch I say to you this - it is nature for a cat to kill a bird. Would you allow this to happen in your garden too? And watch fascinated?

I'm not sure. I probably would have. If it was one of my Blueys, DEFINITELY! I hope that never happens! I'd feel guilty too, but I'm sure it can find a meal elsewhere.

For what it's worth Snapper I would have done the same thing in my garden, I can't help but think of my garden birds as "my" birds but out and about I would do the same as Andy.

Mick

That would really upset me.. I expect
Yes I know that nature can be cruel
and probably.. I would not be able to
interfere...

It brings me back to an incident when in my apt once
there was a mouse. and my cat.. had caught it
well, you might say.. it is only a mouse.. but
it is still a living thing.. and the cat playing with it
etc. I tried to take it from her, but she became
very angry.. and frightened me.. in fact I was afraid
of the mouse as well. so I had to leave..went to another
apt. came back.. and she had eaten the mouse.. could nt
do a thing.

I know this is not exactly as your bird story here.
but it put me in mind .. this is their nature and
instinct to survive..

My goodness, you will never forget this memory..

Egret (1st day here)

songbird said:
I would have done the same as you snapper, and have done, and will do every time. There's no way I would ever not intervene at something being ripped apart and eaten alive, be it bird or beast. Sorry, but that's the way I am. Nature it may be, but its my nature to help the helpless. Those that can stand by and watch I say to you this - it is nature for a cat to kill a bird. Would you allow this to happen in your garden too? And watch fascinated?

I appreciate your sentiments Songbird but I'm not sure you can compare the hunting of a Sparrowhawk to that of the domestic cat. For a start, the Sparrowhawk does not have a bowl of "Whiskas" waiting for him at home! He has to kill to survive - the cat does not.

I go with Andrew on this one.

Andrew Rowlands said:
As I enjoy watching nature, I wouldn't have interfered.

Same as Andrew...it's nature and us humans should just accept it.

I remember once reading that if a pair of blue tits rear a brood of, say, eight young so, with the parents, that's TEN blue tits then they only need TWO of that 'family' to survive until the next year to keep the population balanced.

Having said that, I was once pottering about the garden and watching a Small Tortoiseshell butterfly when it blundered into a spider's web........and I'm ashamed to admit that I did quickly remove it before the spider could get it! ;)

GILL

Mickymouse said:
For what it's worth Snapper I would have done the same thing in my garden, I can't help but think of my garden birds as "my" birds but out and about I would do the same as Andy.

Mick

I am with you on this one Mick, my garden birds are my pride and joy and I couldnt sit and watch anything try to harm them.But in the wild its a different matter.
Though I did see on video, a sparrowhawk take out a collared dove and then spend half an hour eating it in my aunts garden. It was really impressive.

All good valid views, but i am with Mick on this one. I think as Mick said we tend to think of the garden birds "as our birds" and i would do as snapper did, ok soft i am.

I'd have helped the starling! I'm just like you in that respect songbird- it is my nature to help any animal in distress, and while I understand that the sparrowhawk has to eat too and has a family to feed, I wouldn't be able to weigh this up over the tugging at my heartstrings of a bird in distress. I know you can say to me, what about the sparrowhawk chicks, they may be in going hungry, but it's my instincts to help a bird that's in trouble immediately in front of me, and my instincts are a part of me and I'm a a part of nature, so it's natural for me to help the preyed on bird! lol. Now, it may be a different story if I was standing by a nest of thin, hungry sparrowhawks and saw the same thing happen- but in my back garden, I just can't weigh things up this way. If it's a clean kill and the sparrowhawk takes the bird off, fair enough, but if the poor bird is struggling and in distress, I am compelled to try and help it. That is just the way I am. Some of us are happy enough to leave nature to itself, but I can't help my instincts to intervene!

Hi Ronald:

I am on the side of nature, so the Kestrel would win, but I am writing this because I love your logo. I raised Emperor Penguin chicks at Sea World San Diego. What a great bird.

Cory

I would have wanted to help the starling,but I think what would have stopped me is the thought that I might get to it when it has already been injured,and by this time the Sparrowhawk will have flown away because I startled, it and then I am left not knowing what to do with an injured starling thats now in pain.

I think for that reason I would probably leave well alone.

Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back