• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New RSPB Avocet binocular range (1 Viewer)

sammyboy

I popped into RSPB's Conwy reserve today as I'm on holiday in the area. Looked at the binocular range as I was looking for anew pair after having to sell my last set due to car trouble! Had a look through a pair of Avocet 8x32s which I was told they only had in yesterday and was a new range. Not too expensive, bought a pair for £120. Very impressed with the view despite not being phase coated - but 7 degree FOV, nitrogen filled, quite light and sharp view. There's also a 8x42 and I think 10x42 version available too, the 8x42s I think we're £130, can't remember the 10's price. Focus knob smooth and quick to focus, quite prominent so should be easy to use with gloves on though the diopter adjustment was rather stiff on both the demo pair and my example.

Just a heads up if anyone's after a decent but quite cheap set of bins, has anyone else tried these and have any thoughts?

I guess at that price range you wouldn't expect them to be PC, I know some that are but not most. They've got them on their website now, the 10s are £135. Will have to have a look through next time the rep is down!

Hope you get on well with them.

You're correct, no phase coating but still a very good view, bit of CA but not distracting. I used them while going round the reserve and really like the Avocets. Pretty lightweight too.

Hi Guys,
Iam looking for some bins 10x in the £130 ish range just for the
occasional trip to the coast perhaps hide work.
Would the Avocet be a good choice please.
Many thanks,
Phil.

Hi Phil,

You have plenty to choose from for that price, perhaps you can find a local shop that stocks a bit of a range? It's always a good idea to get a feel for the binoculars before you buy them.

My personal choice at that price would be the Opticron Trailfinder 3s., they are phase corrected and offer a decent field of view compared to some others. You could also look at Viking Navilux (Viking actually make RSPB bins, so I should think these will be similar to the Avocets) or I believe Nikon have some fairly good optics for that price.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back