• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

rock pipit with white supercilium (1 Viewer)

breffni

saw a rock pipit with a white supercilium but someone said that it may not be littoralis because of plumage changes in petrosus in spring - true?

Ordinary Rock Pipits (petrosus) do not have a white super they are very drab birds. I've seen petrosus in all plumages so what you saw could be littoralis. (Famous last words!!!)

TWM said:
Ordinary Rock Pipits (petrosus) do not have a white super they are very drab birds. I've seen petrosus in all plumages so what you saw could be littoralis. (Famous last words!!!)

I have seen Rock Pipits on the Outer Hebrides in summer, that looked very like littoralis and certainly had whitish supercilliums. I believe this feature is in the literature. These birds had dependent juvs so I'm assuming they were petrosus.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back